1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby sleep book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

My wife stopped breast feeding at 3 months primarily for schedule reasons.

We had the breast pump but Ms. Ic ate so much that there was never time to get enough stored to make it worth while.

Our daughter is 5 months and had started sleeping thru the night until she got a cold a couple weeks ago. She woke up stuffy and now that has turned into wanting to feed. Fortunately the cold is gone.

My wife feels incredible guilt about not breast feeding longer but as I said it just did not make sense for us to do it longer.

I ordered the Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child book for my wife and I along with the Terry Pluto book for myself for some summer reading.

Thanks again for the info, I love this place!

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I just ordered the book, too. (Plus a stuffed Winnie the Pooh. What can I say? My wife thinks I'm spoiling the baby before he's even born.)

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

One of the weirdest things I've ever seen was a friend's son, age 4 and a half, eat some tortilla chips and then decide to wash them down with breast milk. Mom lifted up her shirt, he nursed for a couple of minutes and went back outside to play. It really creeped me out to see a 45 lb kid breastfeeding.

4. [​IMG]

Not what you were asking for, I gather, but this one worked wonders on my kid (make sure you yawn a lot when you read it :D):

5. Iron_chet

Tortilla con leche?

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i have a 6.5 month old baby and about 6 baby sleep books. none worked. they were total crap. if i ever met weissbluth i would punch him in the face. the problem with his book is that that fucker presupposes that at least one parent is with the child at all times. it also says you need to revolve your entire life around the baby's sleep schedule. obviously new parents like us change their entire life when baby arrives but weissbluth asks way, way too much.

as someone posted above, once we tried the "cry it out" approach, after four days she started sleeping for about 9 hours in a row. now she still gets up at 4 a.m. so we're gonna try to let her cry it out for a few days to get rid of that wakeup.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Iron: I think it's great your wife went as long as she did. The colostrum in the beginning is a big boost - it sets them up for a long time in terms of immunity. She's to be patted on the back. One of my big pet peeves is the lack of support. Women should get support from their employers like they get in Canada and Europe, and lactation consultants should be covered by insurance.

But I hope the sleep book helps.

leo - I was up all night with stress after I read Weissbluth, and I know what you mean. But one thing I give the guy credit for is having a handle on sleep rhythms for the appropriate age. i.e. A 6 month old takes 2 naps at about x:xx and x:xx or whatever. He advocates a pretty harsh form of cry-it-out (CIO) beginning at 4-5 months... We went with the Ferber method, where you check and console. It's the only way I could get through it.

8. Iron_chet

We live in Canada and yes the year off is fantastic. Without re-opening the whole health care debate we had the services of a lactation consultant at the hospital and at a community health clinic where they have one on staff once a week.

It still blows me away to realize all of the things we take for granted with our system here.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

It's excellent. Worked great with our son. Highly recommend it.

Draft saved Draft deleted