1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby sleep book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Jun 20, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My friend's daughter still breastfeeds occasionally before naps. it helps her sleep.

She'll be four this summer. She'll also have two younger siblings by then.

It creeps me the fuck out.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I understand why it's not practical or possible for some people...

I just wish folks would give the science and the facts their due.

In Canada and Europe, women are given a year of maternity leave so they can breastfeed.

I wish it were more encouraged in this country.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We used this one -- http://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Sleep-Tight-Helping/dp/1593150253

It worked in 2 days -- of course we bought it only after my daughter was 13 months old and had not slept through the night.

Given that I'll be a father again by no later than Tuesday (date of Mrs. W's induction), I guess that I can kiss 6.5 hours of sleep goodbye.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Breast feeding advocates I think moonlight as pro-lifers and NRA card carriers.

You might think what they say is correct, but whoa boy, you sure don't like the way it's delivered.

5. 93Devil

I_C, I just bumped up a great thread for you.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's fucking disturbing.

7. 93Devil

I have seen school aged children reach for the milk.

Nothing. Is. Shocking.

8. Mizzougrad96

We had an incident like that at the hospital when my first was born. A few hours post-delivery, one of the nurses came in and asked my wife if she needed instructions about breastfeeding. As soon as she heard we were using formula she turned into Luggy :D and started spewing statistics at my wife, who I guarantee you knows 1,000X more than the nurse. It actually got bad enough that I had to tell the nurse to get the fuck out of the room.

It's always a classy move to try to cram your beliefs down someone's throat just hours after they've given birth.

9. Lugnuts

The facts are tough for some people because of guilt. The 7-8 I.Q. point thing is not one I like to bring up... But disinformation bothers me.

10. Mizzougrad96

So is the study that a lot of women breastfeed too long because they want to lose their baby weight. :D

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I forget the book my wife read (might have been the one above), but getting our kid on that sleep schedule was the best thing ever. Our neighbors were up at all hours for a year and a half with their newborn (born at about the same time as ours) while ours was cutting logs for 8-9 hours a night, plus regular naps during the day.

12. Lugnuts

Guilty as charged. I quit a few months ago and am still trying to lose that last 10 lbs.

Draft saved Draft deleted