1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby sleep book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

A while back there was a thread that mentioned a book on baby sleep that a few posters here said was great.

I did a search and can't find the name of the book.

If anyone has some empathy for a new (5 months in) dad and would like to share the name of that book it would be tremendously appreciated.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know the name of the book, but here are a few suggestions that worked for us...

Switch to formula.
    Get a CD of vaccuming sounds and running water and play it continuously.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Perhaps ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. My wife started out breast-feeding. The kid slept two hours at a time.

A week later, we gave up and went to the bottle. The kid immediately started sleeping in four-hour clips.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Routine, routine, routine. And don't be afraid to let them cry it out. It could suck for a couple of nights, but it is amazing how fast kids adjust. Babies, even that young, need to learn to sleep on their own, i.e, no food, no mommy or daddy comforting. We let our first son cry it out at three months and he pretty much slept through the night since. Our second was a little more stubborn, didn't sleep through the night until about six months, but it worked for him too.

6. Roscablo

Oh, and both were breast fed.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm the person who recommended Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child. I've also read 'Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems' (Ferber) and 'No Cry Sleep Solution' (Pantley).

If your wife is breastfeeding -- keep it up. Your child is more likely to be sick, have ear infections, be overweight and/or have diabetes if she stops. Plus breastfeeding can add 7-8 I.Q. points if your child carries a certain gene, and 90% of babies do.

As someone who breastfed for 14 months, I can tell you a breastfed child CAN and WILL sleep through the night.

If you or your wife would like to PM me about sleep and the breastfed baby, I'd be happy to talk strategies.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just send the baby to the Marriott.
    And you earn the points.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm just going to show the other side of the coin on formula vs. breastfeeding...

Both of my kids were formula fed. Both were sleeping through the night at two months.

Both parents can participate in feedings, rather than just have the mother have to do everything.

We talked to doctors extensively and they told us that with the exception of the first three weeks, formula has all of the nutrients that breast milk does. This was not always the case but it is now.

They also told us that formula-fed babies sleep better and crap less.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just showing the other side.

10. Roscablo

Not to change the topic to a breast feeding one, but I concur with its benefits. Our 3-year-old breast fed until he was 14 or 15 months as well and he has never been more sick than bad cold. Haven't taken him to the doctor other than annual check ups. And he has been in day care since he was 20 months. He also has slept through the night since he was 3 months old.

My 9-month-old was a little tricker with sleeping through the night -- I chalk that one up to his personality more than anything. But he had no more than one feeding a night since he was about three months and has slept through the night since six months.

Any family has to do what works best for them, but if breast feeding don't stop just so you can get a better night's sleep.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends all babies be breastfed for 6 months.

The American Medical Association recommends all babies be breastfed for one year.

The WHO recommends two years.

Formula fed babies "crap less" because formula is not efficient the way breastmilk is. Breastfed babies are hardly ever overweight because breastmilk is their ideal food. They take exactly what they need. Formula fed babies can also struggle with constipation -- which I can't imagine would be fun. I've never heard of a breastfed baby with constipation.

The breast pump is the best invention ever -- anybody can give a bottle of expressed breastmilk.

12. Mizzougrad96

I said my bit, I'll give the thread back to the breast-feeding Nazis.

TWO YEARS ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!

All of my kids had full sets of teeth by the time they were two.

Draft saved Draft deleted