1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby put through airport x-ray machine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 20, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a dp, but I haven't seen it here yet:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/20/national/main2283235.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_2283235

Baby Put Through Airport X-Ray Machine
    Infant Rushed To Los Angeles Hospital; Did Not Receive Dangerous Dose Of Radiation

(AP) A woman mistakenly put her 1-month-old grandson through an X-ray machine at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities said.

A startled security worker noticed the shape of a child on the carry-on baggage screening monitor and immediately pulled him out, the Los Angeles Times reported for a story in Wednesday's editions.

The infant was taken to a local hospital, where doctors determined he did not receive a dangerous dose of radiation.

"This was an innocent mistake by an obviously inexperienced traveler," said Paul Haney, deputy executive director of airports and security for the city's airport agency.

The incident happened early Saturday, airport officials said.

Haney said in 1988, an infant in a car seat went through an X-ray machine at LAX.

"Since then LAX has served more than 1 billion travelers without an incident of this type," he said.

Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration, which manages LAX screeners, said the agency doesn't have enough workers to constantly stand at tables in front of the screeners to coach travelers. Still, he said the agency works hard to educate passengers.

The agency's Web site posts tips for travelers, including a section on traveling with children. There, it says, "Never leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through an X-ray machine."

At the airport, signs also are posted in Spanish and English at ticket counters and near security checkpoints telling passengers to put cell phones, pagers, car keys and other metal objects into bins that go through X-ray machines.

©MMVI, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Did the TSA find any contraband inside the baby?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I swear, I'm smarter than 98 percent of the people in this world.

5. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

"This was an stupid fucking thing to do by an obviously inexperienced human," said Paul Haney, deputy executive director of airports and security for the city's airport agency.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - puts baby through an x-ray machine, let alone in a corner!

Dues will be paid; tolls extracted.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

And watch, through some miracle, I bet she makes more money than most of us.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

jesus. that's all i can say. jesus fucking christ. thank fucking god the baby was OK. if i was the parent, gramma would never see her grandkid again.

9. Toolbox

Toolbox Member

just how inexperienced of a traveler do you have to be to decide that it would be a good idea to send the kid through the X-ray machine? I mean, I've only flown once in my entire life and I didn't eyeball the conveyor belt and say "Ooo look, now that looks like a fun ride for a small child."

Like Leo1 said, thank god the baby is alright.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Well, great ... now the TSA will ban us all from carrying babies on board. Then in three weeks, you'll be able to bring babies 3 oz. and less.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

C'mon, Grandma only wanted to give baby a set of pre-faded genes for Christmas.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

;D ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted