1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby Names ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jan 20, 2011.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm sure your wife is thrilled you're seeking advice from a message board. Perhaps you should hash out with her instead. You do have months to settle it.

And don't forget the girl names. My father's intention was to have five boys. He got one and three girls.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If I remember correctly, once Oz told me he heard of someone naming their daughter Shithead (pronounced SHA-teed).

I'm not a fan of trendy names, like McKenzie or Cooper. For our three (my oldest is actually my stepdaughter so I obviously didn't have say in her name) we tried to incorporate names that have been in some way in the family, first and middle. The only one who didn't was my son - and for those who know me, they aren't surprised we named him Landon. The queen suggested Landen (my dad's name is Dennis), but I didn't want anything goofy.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No one would name their child Brooklyn. These days it would be BrookLynne.

4. I've heard of a girl named Abcde, pronounced Ab-Suh-Day

Congrats Rhody, my best to you and the missus. Any thoughts about honoring those who helped guide you in this business at your first career stop :)

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Heywood is always a good call

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I went to high school with a girl whose parents let her name herself when she got to a certain age, a la the most recent episode of 30 Rock. That's how she wound up as Ozma.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

So D'Brickashaw is out?

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Someone had to explain to me that Kynadi is actually Kennedy in disguise.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Actual conversation from last weekend, taking stats for girls HS game:

Coach: "10 points, three rebounds, Lynn Thomas, but she spells her name different."
    Me: "Oh, with an 'e' at the end?"
    Coach: "Well, kind of. She spells it 'Lionne.'"
    Me: "You gotta be shittin' me."
    Coach: "Nope. She's got a little sister named 'Brandy.' B-R-A-I-N-D-E-E."
    Me: "BRAIN-dee? Really?"
    Coach: "God help us all."

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My wife and I were in agreement on a girls name, but I had my favorite name for a boy and she had hers when she went into labor. Fifteen hours later, when my son was born, we chose her name, with my blessing. She'd earned it.

Easy to spell, easy to pronounce, no question if it's a boy's name or a girl's name.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I would not worry about someone else having the name. You like it, go with it.

I've got a first name/last name combo that everyone confuses and tries to tell me that I don't know what my first name is. It was frustrating for the first 25 years of my life and I actually wanted to change it but now I love having a unique first name (but spelled properly.)

My story, wanted to name my first born "Willie Mays ___" (I know like Willie Mays Aiken) and wife agreed. I backed off at last minute because thought "what if he hates baseball?" Well he loves baseball and wishes I had not changed my mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted