1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Babe Ruth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

... has never been in my kitchen.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I heard Buck say the same thing. And it was during Bo's rookie year.
    A similar thing was said by Bobby Cox about Jason Heyward but he didn't used Ruth, Gibson and Jackson.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I feel like I walked in on a book report.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Does anyone know when the show might be aired again on PBS?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just found out it is on tonight at 8 p.m.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, considering he went into the hall with only 95.1 per cent support (215 of 226 ballots), evidently there were 11 assholes who seriously thought he wasn't worthy.

Ty Cobb went in at the same time with 98.2 per cent (222 votes). Honus Wagner matched Babe with 215 votes.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth's pitching record up through the age of 25 is fairly similar to Dwight Gooden's.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to know the circumstances that led to Ruth pitching these two games.

Does anyone know them?

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

There's something hilarious about this thread that I can't quite put my finger on, but it's interesting so I'll play along and show my lack of in depth baseball knowledge:

Why was Joe Jackson playing in 1920? Wasn't he banned in 1919?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't know, but it is peculiar. He was 5-0 as a Yankee, with four starts and a relief appearance spread out over 13 years.

In 1921, according to B-R, he pitched nine innings and issued seven intentional walks. wtf?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They were final game of the season gimmicks in 1930 and 1933, probably to spike attendance. The pennants had already been decided, so the Yanks decided to try to put a few extra butts in the seats on the last day of the season.

They weren't banned in 1919. Although there were the rumors of the fix, it didn't come out until the end of the 1920 season. The final weekend, the seven (Gandil had retired) players were taken out of the lineup, even though the White Sox were in the pennant race, and Chicago ended up losing with the depleted lineup.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

You can't go with the time line in the movie version of Eight Men Out. The movie made it look like the trail and ban came right in the wake of the 1919 Series when, as Baron said, it was really a full year later.

Draft saved Draft deleted