1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

B1G 10 dump preseason awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Jul 22, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Offensive, Defensive and Top 3 media and coaches polls eliminated, opting for "who to watch for"

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/29465/big-ten-not-playing-preseason-favorites

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I loves me some Big 10 over the local conference (And I ain't talking bout the SWAC), but Jim Delany is the dumbest motherfucker in Division I.
    If I'm the SEC, my counter to every argument is "look at what Jim Delany did" and they're right.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

How much of the decision comes from the Ohio State fallout, I wonder?

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I have always thought preseason awards were about the most absurd thing in sports. They are an oxymoron all unto themselves. It's giving an athlete an award or honour based on potential, nothing more. Stick to post season awards and award them for something they actually accomplish. A 'Who to watch' list is fine. Far less pretentious.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Actually good for them...always hate preseason awards. I once covered a guy who put preseason awards on his website under his highlights section.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The only problem is - without preseason awards and a preseason poll to write about, most media days are even more useless to attend than they are now

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Totally true IMO, but I think the blame lies more in the outlets that dutifully report such drivel.

They can put shovel it, but we don't have to perpetuate it.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I'm the SEC an SEC Network would look like a really bad idea after the Big 10 failed with the one they started...

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

All of you are on my preseason watch list. Congratulations.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Isn't ESPN the SEC Network?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think every network is the SEC Network. I live nowhere near the SEC and the national games they show in my area always seem to involve Florida, LSU, Alabama or Auburn.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If you're only writing about preseason awards and polls at media days, sure. If you use media days as an opportunity to gather a ton of information, quotes, interviews, etc., in one place, they're still plenty useful.

Draft saved Draft deleted