1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

B&N closes store in Manhattan. Customers confuse bookstores with libraries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I go to this store two times a week and probably buy three or four books a week (rarely hardcovers; usually paperbacks, often stuff from the discount pile). The line's always long, seems like a lot of other people are buying, though obviously a lot of people simply relax all day and never buy a thing. I love this store because we'd often spend a whole day in the area, hitting the bookstore, then going to a movie two blocks up. The Daily News story said it would probably be turned into a clothing store. It also had a real estate person speculating that they were being charged $300 a square foot. 60,000 square foot store. This place also has the best guy for bitching people out who sit in the cafeteria without buying anything from the Barnes and Noble cafe. It does look like the employees will be placed at other stores in the city, until those stores close too.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I cringed at these graphs toward the end of the NYT article:

Don't count me among that crowd. Corporate stores like Barnes & Noble and Blockbuster drove the small, independent book and video stores out of business -- you know, the people who weren't the best businessmen or women, but loved books and loved movies and tried to make a living at it.

Now a bigger fish has come to chew up and spit out these soulless corporations. I'm not shedding any tears.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Crains put essentially that in its lead in its story.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20100830/REAL_ESTATE/100839984#

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, it seems to me that we may be on the verge (at least up here) of more independents opening up and filling a much needed vacuum in the retail market.

I don't know if it will every return to the boom years of the 70's and early 80's when independents controlled about 40% of the retail market but I think the pendulum will swing back.

Let's face it, saving a few bucks by ordering onlinei is nice but at some point, the experience of browsing in a bookstore where there's an apparent intelligence behind the selection of the books is far more appealing. and you can actually discuss the books with the owner or staff who care about what they're selling.

It's a bit like the locavore food movement. People will spend more on food by buying locally rather than buying unhealthy food churned out by the food factories.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My wife's in the book business and has been saying that exact thing for the last few months. I just want books - the physical version - to survive and thrive. I underestand e-books might be the thing that keeps publishers alive and I understand all the benefits of the Kindle or the Nook or any other e-reader, but I will always need to hold one and I always want to be able to wander around a store - whether it's a Barnes & Noble, The Strand, or a tiny independent shop tucked away.

6. The Big Ragu

The difference between the book store and the locavore food place, is that people are paying more to get better or fresher food when they shop for locally-grown, fresh organic food.

A book is the same exact book, though, whether you order it online or get it from a local retailer.

People may put a premium on being able to look at the book, talk to the owner or employees at a book store, or sit and browse more before buying, so that makes a book retailer preferable for some people. But ordering online is easier--the book gets delivered to your door, rather than you having to go out--and if the books are less expensive, price usually has a bigger impact on buying behavior when all things are equal, than anything else.

I think most people would rather do a bit of online surfing for book reviews and talk to friends for recommendations and then order online, if it is going to get them books less expensively, than they are going to put a premium on being able to walk into a store for the transaction with whatever benefits a bookseller offers. If the book store actually offered better or fresher books -- as locavore food stores do -- it would be a parallel thing. But the books are the same whether you do it at a retailer or you order online. All the book store has to sell itself on is service, and in most areas of retail that hasn't been enough to get people to pay more and forgo the ease of having the product delivered to their doorstep rather than going out to shop.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're taking my comparison a little too literally.

The comparison is about relationships you have with the companies you purchase your products from. There is a justifiable backlash against large corporations whether it's the food industry or, in this case, the book industry.

It's about having a relationship with the person or business who's providing the product, not just the product itself. The locavore movment is much more than just going into a grocery story and buying organic food--a designation that has now been co-opted by retailers like Wal-Mart. It's about knowing where your food comes from and the person who grew it or produced it.

Granted it's easier to buy a book online but if you tried really hard you could probably buy everything online and never have to go out of your apartment.

And if you know exactly what book you want, sure it's a way of saving a little money but it doesn't replace the experience of browsing in a bookstore and coming on a book that you never knew existed. And there are a lot of people who are willing to put a premium on that.

And most bookstores sell themselves more than just on service. They offer knowledge and advice and most of them are an integral part of the community. Last time I checked Amazon doesn't offer author readings or events.

The funny thing about the big box stores is that they stole the idea of making their bookstores a community based operation from the independents but they had no clue how to go about it. So they figured throw in some comfy chairs, offer coffee and let people use their stores as public libraries. As they say, hoisted by their own petard.

8. The Big Ragu

You just said that "the locavore movement is about knowing where your food comes from and the person who grew it or produced it."

Again, that is why it isn't the same. The food is different than what you get at Wal-Mart, even if Wal-Mart is selling McOrganic McFood -- at the locavore / market, you know it is locally produced, it is farm fresh, and you can trace it's origins because of who is selling it to you and where they got it from. People will pay a premium for a better product. But that isn't the case with the books. You are getting the same exact book, whether you go into a mom & pop bookstore, B&N or you buy it at Amazon.com. The difference is in how you bought it, not in the quality of the product itself.

And the reason Barnes & Noble squashed small booksellers in the first place is that they offered more choices and cheaper books. Online retailers, because they don't have the overhead associated with a storefront, have taken market from B&N. People gravitated toward the convenience and more importantly, the price savings. Again, you get the same exact book either way. And price has more effect on consumer behavior than anything else.

Now, eReading and a bad economy are killing B&N. It isn't a matter of personalized mom & pop stores needed to fill a void. That ship sailed when B&N was able to offer the same exact books -- and way more choice -- for less money. It's a matter of books -- no matter who is selling them -- being a dying business. And in the case of the story that started this thread, one of the priciest commercial real estate locations in the country got to be too pricey to support their sinking business.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're missing the point. And to some people, price is everything but it's not THE overriding consideration to a lot.

If you could buy the exact same product cheaper at Wal-Mart than at Joe's Hippy Trippy Health Food Market, a lot of people would choose to pay extra to 1) support their local retailer 2) not allow Wal-Mart or any other big box retailer to appropriate the locavore movement for marketing purposes.

B&N and the other big box stores offered the illusion of choice. They thought that by ordering every single title in a publisher's backlist, they were giving their customers more selection In fact what they were doing was cluttering their shelves with unsaleable titles that were an obstacle to choice. At the same time these stores didn't offer anything that you couldn't find--or special order-- in an indie bookstore, not to mention that your independent had esoteric titles from small presses that the big boys couldn't order. The chains had better remainders--that also gave them the illusion of cheaper prices when 99% of the books were the same price as the indies.

The indie will fill a gap left by the big box stores who (at least up here) aren't in the book business at all. They're in the candle and home decor business. They won't come back the same way as when they were driven out of business by the carpet bombing marketing strategies of the big boys, but they'll be back.

Yes, people will continue to buy books through Amazon and some of us will buy both online at independents.

But the book business isn't dying (we get those predictions every twenty years or so) but it will have to adapt to the challenges from Amazon and e-readers.

10. The Big Ragu

1) Most people would pay less at Wal-Mart if it is the same exact thing. It's why Wal-Mart has flourished over the last two decades and mom & pop hasn't. 2) Wal-Mart can't appropriate the locavore movement. By it's nature locavore means local, fresh, traceable. Not sent from a warehouse in China via a large regional warehouse. It's a fresher product. Exactly why I am not missing the point. Locavore offers something different (and better to a lot of people) than the Wal-Mart or the local supermarket. Some people will pay a premium for that fresher, organic, locally-grown, farm-fresh product. It's why there is a niche market for lavacore.

A book store with thousands of more titles is an obstacle to choice? You just said more choice equals less choice.'

I understand the point that most people just want the best-seller list. Take away any points about B&N offering more choice -- and offering a lot more books is not LESS choice, no matter how you slice it -- and B&N still was selling what most people wanted (the best seller list) for less money. It's why people chose B&N over the mom & pop shop. B&N benefited from economies of scale that indies couldn't get. Sell more books and you can get better pricing. The cheaper prices weren't an illusion, as you just said (where do you get this stuff from?). They were provably real, and consumer behavior backs that up. When Amazon (and online retailing in general) was able to offer yet cheaper prices, B&N had competition forcing it to squeeze out even better economies of scale and lower margins. Indie bookstores just can't compete with those kinds of pressures. They sell service, if they are selling anything. But people are mostly interested in price. They are getting the same book and will gladly sacrifice service for the same exact product at a cheaper price.

Saying book sales are sinking isn't an every 20-year-off-the-cuff prediction. It's easy to see. It's dying the same way that the buggy whip died when automobiles became more prevalent. I have no idea what 20-year periods you're talking about, in which there was a perceived threat to the printed book (or any printed product) that we are seeing in the form of digital media. Actually, the better comparison is to record albums and CDs. Record stores used to be all over the place. Indies. Then the Towers and Virgins and big stores -- a la B*N. Who goes to a record store today? As recently as 8 or 9 years ago, they were everywhere. Then came the iPod and the number of music stores has decreased by 75 percent or more. And it wasn't the record stores or the record producers who became dominant in that market. It was a big technology company: Apple.

Right now, we're at a point where book stores are going to go the same way. People will download their books in the future. It's cheaper, easier, and the handwriting is on the wall. There is a period of adaptation going on. To the extent we have book stores -- indie stores (because no way the big chains like B&N survive the way the exist now) -- they will be like music stores. Niche stores, hard to find, for a small group of enthusiasts. Book publishing is going to follow suit. When writers self-publish in electronic format, how many publishers will still be left?

B&N's stock has plummeted from $45 to $15 and they are up for sale, because this is all so easy to see coming. Borders stock price is down 95 percent. And that is WITH the fact that eBook sales have rocketed for B&N. But that is not a sustainable business model for them, because prices of the readers are coming down, they are getting eaten into by Apple and the iPad, which does more than just display books, and in the eBook market, they really don't have a huge competitive advantage that B&N, the way they had in books. They can't dominate that space and keep others out. They can't control distribution which is easy to get your feet into, when you don't need warehouses and it's as simple as a server and owning digital rights to sell as much of something as you can.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this is another space Apple slowly takes over. If not Apple, it will be a technology company. It will be big, as big as B&N was, and it will take what B&N had from B&N, which hasn't adapted very well.

But we are not going back to a world of indie book stores. It's the last thing happening with the changes we are seeing.

11. swenk

swenk Member

When I think about the book business adapting (to anything), I think about elderly gentlemen who still can't figure out how to use the remote control on the TV. Lovely, classy, dignified women who still keep a rotary dial phone by the bed. There's a record player in the living room. They keep track of their money by hand, in the big binder on the dining room table. They know there's a better way, but, well, you know.

The business model of publishers and booksellers is so messed up, so archaic, it's almost impossible to see how it can be restructured. Publishers have no current means to sell their product without bookstores, either mortar or electronic. But as fewer people make their purchases in bookstores, those bookstores are taking fewer titles, smaller quantities, or as we have seen on this thread, closing altogether. So publishers' revenues plummet, they publish fewer books, for smaller advances, with less dollars for promotion and marketing.

And before we look to the rise of eBooks as a way to offset the loss of paper-and-ink dinosaurs, please note that the revenues from eBooks is (as of now) puny and insignificant compared to traditional books, and the royalties are a joke. Which means your advances are going down.

So for now, we need those bookstores, until the publishing business figures out how to operate without them, selling their own products and creating an entirely new business model. Just as soon as they figure out how to plug in that Betamax.

Much reporting has been done on the actual math, here's just one current account of the situation:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7151629.html

12. swenk

swenk Member

Oh, and as for the indie vs. Big Box debate: Publishers can't survive on sales derived from the small merchants; they don't take big quantities, nor do they take all the titles. They are a lovely option for those who enjoy chatting with knowledgeable book folks, but they can't sustain the industry as we know it.

Draft saved Draft deleted