1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

B&N closes store in Manhattan. Customers confuse bookstores with libraries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I have my qualms about some of Simmons work, but I find it extremely douche-tastic that someone would go into B&N every day and read a chapter of his book. But it does make sense when you think about none of his fans ever having experienced paying for his work previously, so why start now?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Doesn't B&N make money off of the coffee? I would think that markup is more than a book.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Speaking of confusing libraries and bookstores...years ago, I volunteered at the local library. One day when I staffed the welcome desk, I helped a kid, who looked to be about 10 and his mother. They both seemed to be native English speakers. The son was looking for a particular book and I helped him find it. He told me it was a present for his dad's birthday. Then he asked if there was a new copy in the back and where the cash register was. I said "this a library, not a bookstore." The kid looked very confused and the mother got an embarrassed look on her face and they left.

Other library volunteers and staffers said that happened at least a few times a week.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I would like to believe that this story isn't true, but I know that it is.
    And that makes me sad. Very sad.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the gross margin is on coffee but B&N is getting 50% GM on their books plus astronomical margins on their remainders.

You're not paying any expenses with $4.00 cups of coffee.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There used to be a huge three tory Chapters (our B&N) in the main upscale shopping district in TO. It was their flagship store, they had a Starbucks on the main floor and a huge magazine selection. Armchairs everywhere. You'd see some people sitting in the chairs reading magazines they hadn't purchased as if they were in their living room. They finally took alway all the chairs.

The store is now a Winners.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I never went to the library in high school, or really even college. Then I graduated and started using the library. If I need to get shit done, that's where I go.

8. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

About 10-11 years ago, me and a buddy drove from Wisconsin to Pasadena to watch the Rose Bowl. After 13-14 hours, we stopped in Denver at a local bookstore, grabbed a book and took about a 2-hour nap on their comfy chairs. Then it was back on the road.
    You put comfy chairs in a bookstore and make them free to use, you're gonna get punks like me who will use them as they were intended.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But you are at least getting something out of the people (a few) browsing.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes, but you can sell all the coffee in the world but it's not going to pay the overhead of a four story bookstore with an inventory probably valued at a million dollars or more.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

When I do an author signing at a book fair, I always get about a dozen people who ask if my books are free.

12. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

I'm guilty of going to my B&N, grabbing a magazine and a cup of coffee and then sitting there to read it. But I always buy the magazine. Wouldn't feel right just borrowing one from the newsstand.

Draft saved Draft deleted