1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

B&N closes store in Manhattan. Customers confuse bookstores with libraries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 30, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is so pathetically sad and almost Onion worthy.

A four-story B&N across from the Lincoln Centre is about to close. They have a lot of people visiting the story but no one is actually buying books

“I’m just killing time,” said Mr. Cha, a 30-year-old lawyer, his hands stuffed deep in his pockets. “I’ve been coming here to read Bill Simmons’s ‘Book of Basketball,’ about a chapter at a time.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/nyregion/31barnes.html?_r=1

And this:

“Oh, I really am sad,” said Lillian Kelly, a 70-year-old retiree, upon hearing the news that the store would close. “I love buying my greeting cards here.”

Ms. Kelly said she visited the store at least twice a week, usually heading upstairs to read magazines and to pick up a sandwich and cup of Starbucks coffee.

You can't make this shit up.

The threat from Amazon aside, the worst business model that the big box stores came up with was this idea that bookstores should become libraries where people could sit their fat asses in a comfy chair, drink coffee and read books and magazines for FREE.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The line at the end about being sad that there are no B and N and Tower Records stores was LOL-tastic.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just read that article.

Gotta admit that I've been guilty of that -- in that very store even.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've killed time a bunch of times in that B&N, especially before movies nearby.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've killed a ton of time in that B&N. I have also bought my fair share of books there, though. Bummer.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

And they say people don't read these days.

I've spent my share of money in that store, though I've spent way more in Strand.

I could never just sit there and read in a bookstore, especially if I hadn't bought the book. In part because most bookstores seem about 5-10 degrees too warm.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I used to go there and look at books that I would later buy for half price in the basement at the Strand.

Then I'd go over to Tower Records and flip through CDs that I'd buy the next day at J & R Music World for better prices.

Hate to see traditions die.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

The worst part of that story is someone is so lonely he goes to a bookstore to read Bill Simmons.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Love that store. I'm not a bookstore reader but I know plenty of them. When the store basically invites you in to do that, what do you expect?

I also bought my favorite hat at a stand right outside that store.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The irony is that for years many libraries have tried to stay relevent by trying to become more like Barnes & Nobles.

I prefer reading for free (minus the price of a coffee) at Borders. They have comic books!

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've spent quality time at that store as well. Here's the thing -- if you want to read books for free, the Public Library will deliver books to aby branch if you reserve on line. Plus you can return to any branch as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted