1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Azzuri (edit: and soccer, too)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Oct 21, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I was just contemplating my avatar, the good ol' "Irish" Red Sox hat (there's a shamrock on the back). It occurred to me that the green-white-red color scheme also "represents" for Boston's large Italian (and for that matter, Portuguese) populations.

Then it occurred to me that Italian national teams wear blue, despite the flag's being green-white-red. So why blue? I know Italy unified fairly late, so I'm guessing that the blue tradition might have something to do with a pre-unification tradition. So who out there knows? Why are Italian teams the "Azzuri?"

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Re: Azzuri

Why do we call soccer soccer instead of the name that it actually makes sense to call it?

3. writing irish

That, too.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good question. I've yet to hear a worthwhile answer.

5. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

hi, i'm wikipedia, have we met? ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azzuri#Notes

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

7. writing irish

Ok, blue's the color of the House of Savoy. I guess that explains "Stompin' at the Savoy," as well.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

And what's the deal with airline food?

Waiting for someone to blame soccer for something in 3 .... 2 ....

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The term was invented in the UK around the time the game was catching on in the US. Much like our use of the word "fall" instead of "autumn," it's a term that was originally used in the UK, but fell out of favor there, leading some to believe it's a sloppy Americanism, when it's really not.

Football was a fairly generic term at the time soccer found its footing (so to speak) in the United States. Soccer is derived from "Association Football" which is the most precise name for what much of the world calls football. At the time the term "soccer" began being used, the term "football" also included rugby, Gaelic football, Australian football and American/Canadian football.

10. writing irish

Thanks, Claude Bailey. Gunners rule ok! :D

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Gunners are a bunch of wankers! GO REDS!

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That will work.

FWIW, I also strongly prefer "Autumn" over "Fall." :D

Draft saved Draft deleted