1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Azinger won't return as US Ryder Cup captain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zimmaniac06, Dec 8, 2008.

1. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

According to ESPN Azinger told Golf World he won't give it another go...we'll find out on Thursday for sure, but it's looking like he'll be succeeded in '10 by the Gritty Little Bruin, Corey Pavin

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Go Europe!

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Smart move. Come back and lose, especially with Tiger, and the '08 win will be ancient history.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What about DLIII?

5. America weeps.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

WHat about him?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Just asking.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I like this actually. I love the Ryder Cup -- might be my favorite weekend in sports -- and yet I enjoy how it's like the U.S. Presidency. You get your shot and you either succeed or your fail, but then it's someone else's turn. No one should get to do it twice; the next captain should be forced to learn from the successes or failures of the previous guy. You want the game of golf to be forced to grow, not stay in neutral. I think it should be Pavin next, and eventually Larry Nelson, O'Meara and Fred Couples should get their turn too, as should Phil and Tiger and Justin Leonard and everyone besides John Daly.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He might be a person that, if given the captaincy, causes the top 12 players to develop an illness in time for the Ryder Cup.

Draft saved Draft deleted