1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Azinger to be US Ryder Cup captain...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Basement, Nov 1, 2006.

1. The Basement

The Basement Member

sorry if this has been discussed - i only went back 2 pages -

but for those that care about the Ryder Cup, and perhaps for those that don't - what do you think of this appointment (and Faldo's for that matter?)

There's the golf side of this, and then the PR side...Faldo and Azinger have established personalities as the "working media", not to mention their golf resumes. Do you think, at least on the US side, that Azinger was also brought aboard for this next cup to help generate some national interest? For sure he and Faldo will have some back and forth's and who knows, he seems to be the type of guy to say some things to garner some attention.

I dont think the Euro's would pick Faldo for similar reasons, but who knows?

As for golf - does it mean anything for the US squad? Or is it really a matter of them tweaking the point system again and having the top 3 players in the world actually show up?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Azinger will pick Tiger again and the U.S. will not win in 2008 Ryder Cup. Perhaps the new PGA Tour system, when it will be in its second runthrough, will give the U.S. a new look and perhaps a HUNGRIER team.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Azinger won't have to pick Tiger. And it's impossible to tell what impact it will have since nobody knows what the U.S. or European teams will look like in '08.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"ESPN is confirming a published Associated Press report that Paul Azinger has been selected to the the United States Ryder Cup Captain."

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

TV suits will tell Azinger to pick Tiger for ratings. Duh!

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think the captain means a thing to the US side. Lehman was said to be a good "players captain" encouraging camaraderie and blah blah blah. It's still golf.

Azinger won't generate more interest. Golf fanatics like the Ryder Cup regardless, and non-golf fans aren't going to be magically drawn in by the witty banter Azinger and Faldo throw at each other in the pre-match press conferences. It's not like their work in the TV booth vaulted golf ahead of the NFL in ratings.

I'm a golf nut, and I don't even care. The U.S. players have sold their soul to the majors. Fine. There are now only four weeks that I absolutely have to watch TV every day. Screw the Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup and definitely the new FedEx Cup.

7. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Tiger will get in as a top-10 player. Nobody will have to tell anybody to pick him. Duh!

8. Tiger Woods will be on the US team three years after he's dead.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't see Zinger as being the type to do anything bold in this role. And maybe it's time the U.S. got somebody who would.

10. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

U.S captains have failed being bold (Sutton pairing Woods and Mickelson) and playing it safe (Lehman going with Woods/Furyk and Mickelson/DiMarco). That being said, the pairings Azinger decides to use will have a big impact, as will who he sits during the first two days. If one of the stars goes out and bombs his first match, and Azinger has the guts to sit him, then he's making a big impact. Don't know if he's that kind of guy, though. Johnny Miller, on the other hand, is.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Did anyone else on the U.S. win three points other then Tiger?

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

He and Faldo joked about the captain selection in pregame commentary today at The Tour Championship t.v. show.
    Azinger apparently lost his phone somewhere around the club near Atlanta. Faldo asked if he had Tiger's number in there.
    Azinger first said he did, then said Tiger won't give the # to anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted