1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Axl Rose is a sociopath, Chapter 623

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Maybe my favorite celebrity profile written while I was able to read, by John Jeremiah Sullivan in GQ on Axl Rose in 2006: http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/200609/final-comeback-axl-rose

It's 8,834 words, but if you loved Guns N' Roses, you will enjoy all of them.

Best band of the 1980s.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Steven Tyler on GnR circa late-80s:

"They're drinking way too much. They're going to wind up just like we did."

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

That was quite good. Thanks for posting. I felt the same way watching the 2011 version of the band.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I remember when this happened and thought it was strange. I believe CCR had a similar deal.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

GnR was on track to become one of the top three bands in the history of music.
    Smack is a powerful drug that derails even the best of 'em. Fuck you Axl for taking that away from me.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You know he's serious because he capitalized five letters in that post. (Also, he made three fine points.)

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Yeah, but all of the drama happened off stage with CCR.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

"Appetite for Destruction" was by such a wide margin the best rock 'n' roll album of the '80s that I can't even think of what No. 2 might be.

I read "Watch You Bleed," the Stephen Davis biography of G'nR, and I'm pretty sure I remember that by '87 or '88, Axl was off the smack completely. I don't think it was smack that made Axl weird. I don't think "sociopath" is far off, frankly. I think the rest of the world should thank the deity that Bill Bailey could sing, 'cause otherwise he would probably have been a monster criminal.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Probably "The Joshua Tree" or "1984."

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Nobody knows I'm a lesbian.

I thought Watch You Bleed was lousy, a rehash of old interviews and mistakes. I was much more impressed with W.A.R., a bio of Axl by Mick Wall, notoriously name-checked (with others) in "Get In The Ring", that chronicles the band's rampant dysfunction and Axl's complete batshit insanity.

Still, Axl was one of the greatest frontmen ever, often imitated, never duplicated. His appearance with with Elton John at the Freddie Mercury tribute was one of the last "Holy shit!" rock moments for this kid.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He also contributed a great backing vocal to Don Henley's "I Will Not Go Quietly".

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

See, and I saw that post and immediately thought Thriller or Purple Rain.

Draft saved Draft deleted