1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ax Men on History Channel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Never thought I'd say this, but these shows on the History Channel make me pine for the days when all they showed was World War II and Civil War programming.

I actually talked to someone from the History Channel a few weeks ago, and he suggested the channel's programming would be swinging back towards more "pure" history stuff. If that's true, it won't be soon enough.

2. Dedo

Dedo Member

Anybody watching the show ever read "Sometimes A Great Notion" by Ken Kesey? It seems like the Stampers would fit right in with some of these guys.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Is this that show about body spray that makes chicks jump you?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of this show, but I don't want to see them go back to the programming from five years ago.
    I'm a history buff, but there's only so much WWII and Vietnam I can take.
    'The Universe' is the best show on TV for the past two seasons.
    'Life After People' was great.
    There's a lot of great programming still on The History Channel.

5. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

I miss the war stuff, too. Tired of a thousand different shows about UFOs.

However, as the son of a former logger and the grandson of someone who was a logger for 50-plus years, it is a subject close to my heart. Tough job, no doubt about it.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

Didn't know he deserved to be on the History Channel yet.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like most of the science programming and the ancient history stuff.
    They had one program in which they recreated famous battles. Bring that back, but make sure it varies from ancient battles to modern battles, really runs the gamut.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I wish Deep Sea Detectives was still in production. I love that and the Robert Ballard stuff.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Phew! I thought this was a show about Singleton.

And I find American Experience on PBS to do a much better job with history stuff.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's way too much WWII. It is excessive.

They used to show Civil War Journal every morning at 7. This was a staple for years. Done away with for reasons unknown.

I can remember the "Movies in Time" where the historians would sit around a table after commercial breaks and briefly critique/bullshit about the movie to that point. That was good stuff.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Agreed all the way around. They've cut the WWII coverage down, but it still can be excessive. As you said, they've gotten away from much of their U.S. Civil War programming, which I miss as well. And I always enjoyed Movies In Time.

I don't want the pendulum to swing all the way back to the old days of constant WWII programs, but they have too much Discovery channel type programming now. I enjoy that stuff sometimes, but I'd rather see it on the Discovery Channel.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Beak,

A&E Television Networks has a new president and CEO. Both are said to be anti-military, anti-military history and anti-traditional American storytelling. At least that's what I'm hearing. (How that's a winning mix for an enterprise like this is anyone's guess.) That might be why Mail Call was cancelled.

Another strong series in the '90s was The Real West, hosted by Kenny Rogers and others.

Draft saved Draft deleted