1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AWSM honors Lisa Olson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jun 22, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AWSM's convention is ongoing in Phoenix, and today the organization honored Lisa Olson with the Mary Garber Pioneer Award not just for what happened 20 years ago in New England, but for her stellar career as a journalist.

Congrats to Lisa. And a nicely done piece today by Paola Boivin of the Arizona Republic.

http://bit.ly/15s5Dqa

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Congrats, amiga. Well deserved.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Indeed. Read the story this morning and sent my congratulations to the writer and to the subject.

Brava.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

A terrific lede, too:

By Paola Boivin
    azcentral sports

The protective cocoon still exists, an invisible shield of solidarity for one of its own.

In the banquet hall of a Scottsdale resort on Saturday, the Association for Women in Sports Media will honor Lisa Olson, a Valley-born journalist whose accomplished career was briefly and unfairly defined by the horrific behavior of an NFL team and its fans. She will be surrounded by five decades of peers who remain eternally grateful for her poise and perseverance, for displaying the ultimate act of taking one for the team.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Congrats, Lisa, well-earned.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I wonder how often through the years Lisa Olson has written the same column twice. I'm betting she hasn't. That's one of the things I like about her writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted