1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awkward dates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cyclingwriter, Jun 27, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I believe Tony understood that and was saying BDC should have dined-and-dashed.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know. I'm saying he also should have skipped out on the bill. No excuse for a waiter making those comments.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had a Jeep Cherokee for about a decade and it probably went through a half-dozen alternators. It got to the point when I knew exactly when one was dying -- lights would start to dim, power steering would start to tighten, etc. From the moment I could tell it was dying, I'd have about 10 minutes to get off the road to someplace safe before the car went completely kaput.

Sure enough, one alternator died on me at the end of a first date in college. Was driving her back to her place when the lights started to dim, and I sure as hell didn't want the car to die on me with a girl in it. Normally I would have walked her to the door, maybe got a peck or whatever, but I said a quick bye in the car and kept crawling home (and somehow got to my parking lot). I later told her why she got that goodbye and she laughed. But at the time, it was nervewracking as heck.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe you luckily had the bigger dick?

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

There is a story there...but I refuse to share it. :)

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

"Why do you have to try and get your life together with me?"

7. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

As I junior in college, I had been trying for a while to get a date with a woman we'll call Tina. She finally agreed to have me over for dinner.
    I arrive after work from my part-time job, I'm starved and she's cooking pasta. She offers me a beer and I pound two or three as she continues to cook. Then she breaks out a joint laced with hash. I had never done hash before but I forged ahead. We do another.
    She serves me dinner: pasta w/meat sauce, garden salad and red wine. I'm not really a wine guy but I figured, "What the heck?"
    In the middle of the meal, I feel a little queasy and head to the bathroom. I open the door and spew like Vesuvius, totally missing the toilet and pretty much plastering the remainder of the room. The shag-like mats were especially in bad shape.
    I sat on the side of the bath tub, waiting to wake up from this nightmare. I must have been gone for a fair amount of time because she came back, opened the door and let loose with a stream of profanity.
    I was wasted to the point that she refused to let me stay, called her former boyfriend to come over to drive my car while she poured me into mine and drove me home.
    Needless to say, we married a couple years later. Shockingly, it didn't work out.

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I don't get why she was so upset. It's internet dating, for pete's sake, so it's pretty likely that both parties have a backup plan or two. It was a first freaking date. That girl had no sense of humor and you're lucky the waiter's actions allowed you to find that out quickly.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Of course, if you'd been really quick thinking, you could have told the waiter - "Listen, that was my SISTER the other night. Do you ever have relatives visit and you take them out to your favorite restaurant?"

Your story winds up with a happy ending anyway. Happy for eleven years is nothing to sneeze at.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This date is the leader in the clubhouse.

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a pretty awesome awkward date.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's illegal for the restaurant to maker the server pay for skipped bill.
    Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but you should report it to the Labor Dept. when you hear of it.

I've never heard of anyone puking from smoking pot or hash.

Draft saved Draft deleted