1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awkward dates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cyclingwriter, Jun 27, 2013.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sammy indeed had some gems. ... Took a gorgeous girl -- way out of my league whom I already had done the deed with (my first) and then awkwardly started dating briefly -- out to dinner and a movie. Took her to a great little Greek place and the conversation was a bit awkward. When we went to leave, I had locked the keys in the car. Sister brought me a spare set, and we went to see "Jungle Fever." Don't ask me why. Didn't go much farther than that.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And I have gotten more $40 hugs than I care to admit. Internet dating can be cruel that way.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Went out with a woman I wouldn't have otherwise because she was known to be easy.

We do dinner and a movie -- "Wild, Wild West" BTW -- then when we get back to her place and I make a move, she says she wanted to date me because I had a respectable job and she was trying to change her reputation.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Perfect segue into my awkward date story. I was just getting into the internet dating scene after my fiance of a couple of years had decided she was no longer in love with me.

I had gone through a couple of nibbles when I finally landed a date, then landed another date for a couple of days later (different girl, obviously). Anyway, I found this nice little restaurant on the water -- good food, beautiful view, quiet setting to have a good first date. First date with Girl No. 1 went well, so well that I made the rookie mistake of going back to said restaurant for the first date with Girl No. 2 just a couple of days later. (You can probably see where this is going)

As fate would have it, not only did I get the same table overlooking the water, I got the same waiter. After we order drinks, the date came to a screeching halt when he proudly says "Going with the blond tonight, huh? How'd things go with the brunette the other night?"

The remainder of the date was spent with my date just staring down into her plate (not sure she even took a single bite). The awkward silence at the table was only broken by the waiter coming back every few minutes to see if we were "doing OK?"

The ride back to her car was equally brutal. No talking at all. I tried to smooth things over, saying I wasn't trying to play her, but she wasn't having it. I've never seen someone take off their seat belt and exit a vehicle as fast as she did when we pulled up to her car. Never heard from her again.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I hope you stiffed the waiter on the tip for his cock block.

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

That would've been a 0.01 tip. What a jerk. That's broicide.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I certainly did. I didn't leave a red cent. Paid with cash, exact change and wrote "Thanks" on the bottom of the receipt.

Edit: I should note that I also never returned to that restaurant again.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Waiters and waitresses have to pay for tabs that are skipped out on. I would almost never recommend this, but in this situation dine-and-dash was warranted.

9. What a bitch!

She'd be a whore if she put out for you, though. ;)

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I've only been on one actual, real date in my life.
    And I didn't go on that date until I was 22.
    The only "actual date" I have ever been on (where I asked her out, and she said yes...I have plenty of random hookups from parties and friends turning into "fuck buddies")...and she tells me at dinner that she had a boyfriend.
    AWKWARD!
    Still, we finished the date and went and saw the movie (For The Love Of The Game), took her home and figured that was it.
    I guess I was better than the boyfriend, because she dropped him soon thereafter.
    ...and now she's the missus and has been for almost 11 years. :)

11. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

I could forgive that more than a shitty movie selection.

12. He paid the
    He paid the bill. Just didn't tip.

Draft saved Draft deleted