1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awkward dates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cyclingwriter, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I went on a date with a guy I met online as a freshman in college. He seemed really nice, was also really smart. We decided to meet up for pizza. Because I didn't know him in real life (and there was a serial rapist going around), I asked if he minded if I brought a friend with me. He understood, said it was cool. Turns out, he was much more into blondes (i.e., my friend who had a boyfriend) and it was kind of awkward but he basically cut off all communication after that.

Flash forward two years. I was dating this guy and he was a physics major. They had a little gathering room in their main building on campus, where I would hang out with them. One day we walk in there...and there's my blind date. I'm not sure if he recognized me or not but to say it was pretty awkward, at least on my end, is an understatement.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I haven't had anything too over the top, a few dates where there's been nothing to talk about and a lot of awkward silence. but nothing too bad.

A couple bad ones on my friends' side of things:

A current coworker of mine arrived at the prearranged spot for a first date with this girl, except she shows up with her mom, who just happened to be visiting from out of town. Strangely enough, a couple of months later and they're still going out.

Another buddy of mine has told this story a couple of times, so take it for how much truth you want. He was in university, can't remember what year, but he was well into a cougar phase. So this one lady he picks up, goes back to her place, wakes up the next morning and is roped into taking her kids to school, as it was on the way to the university from where she lived. Mother of the year on all accounts. It was at that point he started to reconsider cougars.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Of course that was a Top 10 hit in both Canada and the U.S.

Here is the video, and not a bad song, I might add.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

It is a great song. Sammy Kershaw had some gems.

6. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

Holy shit, a Sammy Kershaw reference? I've seen it all on this board.

Anyway ....

1999. Just graduated high school. Asked out a girl sometime in July. Did the usual dinner and a movie. I let her pick. We saw "Wild Wild West." I didn't ask for a second date.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I have the usual assortment of dimwit trail trash I tend to get dates with who are amazed that I'm literate but the gold standard of bad dates in my past was a nice girl from college that I made the bad decision of taking to a Super Bowl party, not thinking that my friend who was hosting the party was a huge Patriots fan (this was Super Bowl XXXVI). After three hours of sitting on a couch with a guy who was screaming at his TV, she never called me again.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Back in college, night exams ended for fall semester and day before dorms closed for the winter. Word had filtered around that the girl that drew me in Secret Santa had quite the crush on me, so a date was arranged. All routine until we got back to the dorm and were listening to some tunes. Phone rang, it was her dad. She apparently hadn't checked in. Took her back to her room later and called it a night. But walking back through the lobby, the dorm adviser told me he'd been calling all night and he didn't have a whole lot of choice but to pass along the number. Since he was a yood gug I let him know it was ok. Broke up before the next semester.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Frankenstein's monster and Kirsten Dunst playing miniature - that would be a awkward date.

So would Ed Norton and Lisa Leslie going to the roller skating rink.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is exactly the same, but in college, a female friend I had long had a crush on paid a surprise visit to me. She went to a big-name school, had been the valedictorian of her high school class (the one behind me), was on the student newspaper with me in high school, and was (and is) drop-dead.

Anyway, we end up drinking quite a bit. Made out. Messed around a little bit, but not too far, and we go to bed. I go to bed thinking that this is something to at least build on.

So next day, we go through the day hanging out. And she makes like three or four comments about how I better not drink out of the same glass as her, because she had a cold.

Finally, I say, "Do you think it really matters at this point?"

She's baffled.

"Um, last night? We made out? A lot?"

She didn't remember a second of it.

Yeah. Awkward.

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I remember I met these two hot girls at a gas station when I was in college. They were right across from me filling up their tank. I convince them to come back to my friend's house.

My buddy gravitates to the blonde. I ask the cute brunette out on a date since we seemed to be hitting it off well.

Well, she lives in the sticks just across the state line. I pick her up and halfway to the restaurant, she says "I don't believe in premarital sex" without any warning. It didn't come up in conversation or anything. Just out of the blue. I try to hide my dismay.

We go out to eat. Go see a movie. We go back to her house. I'm about to bust a move when this massive spider starts crawling on my shoulder from her couch. I brush off spider, but it gives her the opportunity to say "it's getting late..."

I receive a hug. Told a buddy of mine about it later and he laughs:
    "You got a $40 hug. NICE!"
    Never called her again.

Draft saved Draft deleted