1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awful Halloween leads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"God said 'The hell with Halloween' on Friday night, so then he had Podunk High
    barbecue East Dipstick like the spook-tacular ribs they scare up down at Applebee's."

Make sure you put a good hed on that, OK?

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The counterargument is that there's no reason to unilaterally and universally ban holiday ledes just because you or a cadre of journalists don't care for them. I could ban all sorts of fun stuff based on my personal or shared taste. But that's not my role. And it shouldn't be yours or anyone else's.

This isn't a basic journalistic tenet. It's a like/dislike issue. And in the absence of any compelling reason beyond taste to ban them, I don't see the issue. More to the point, I'm pretty sure our readers don't give a hot holy crap.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

"God said 'The hell with Halloween' on Friday Saturday night, so then he had Podunk High
    barbecue East Dipstick like the spook-tacular ribs they scare up down at Applebee's."

Nice try, chef3.

4. Riptide

Stop fucking with my lede!!!!!

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Halloween came early for Podunk High on Friday night.

Ace, SnarkShark and Riptide like this.
  6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This is from a sister paper in my company:

On All Hallows’ Eve, Oldham County didn’t pull any tricks to deserve the treat it had searched for all season.

The Colonels defense accounted for three scores and Oldham County got its first win of the season on Senior Night 31-26 over Jeffersontown.

OC (1-9) ended its season with a win to avoid the first winless season in school history.

7. Riptide

See, that just sucks.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On a related note, I've told this story before but it's a good one.
    I work at a southern paper, and back in the 60s things were a little less racially sensitive around these parts than they are in our progressive modern times. School A had scored a late touchdown or something to win a big game against School B, in late October.
    The headline, for some reason, read: "School A unleashes spooks on School B"
    The game was between two black schools.

Bamadog likes this.
  9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Whoever wrote that was going to employ some form of "tricks" and "treats" no matter what the result.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

See if the game had gone the other way, then you've got a good lede.

PODUNK - Oldham County got a rock.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

My policy at my last stop as an SE was carried over from my predecessor: Write a holiday themed, cliche riddled lede and you're fired. Maybe I was kidding, but it kept me from having to edit that stuff.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I actually don't think that one's all that terrible. It's more subtle than over the top like a bunch I've seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted