1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awful Halloween leads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Nov 1, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Please post any awful Halloween leads here. I'll kick it off.

From the Tulsa World...

No. 14 Oklahoma at Kansas: Get analysis, photos, more from Sooners blowout of Kansas

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's the lede of the OU gamer in the Tulsa World? Jeeeeeesus.

SFIND and SnarkShark like this.
  3. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

The first few versions of the AP's World Series gamer were particularly brutal, too -- the Royals "startled" the Mets in the nut graf, not to mention that for Mets fans, it was a "scary ending."

Also, this: "Seemingly spooked by the raucous New York crowd early on Halloween, the Royals rallied..."

Hacking all that garbage out of there on deadline was a real "treat."

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

That's fucking awful. I didn't even mention Halloween in my story yesterday. Sometimes it's just better to ignore the obvious. Fuck Halloween and fuck Halloween leads.

Ace likes this.
  5. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

6. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

I wrote this last year, and I don't hate it no matter what anyone says! OK, it's pretty cheesy, but my editor issued a challenge and I had to respond in kind:

The ghosts were out in full force for (high school team) on Halloween night. These specters of the past haunted the (slightly racist mascot) all evening and seemed to spook (high school team) into every mistake already made this season, with the end result being a dreary 49-21 loss to the (animal mascot).

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Boo!

SFIND likes this.
  8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

The only thing impressive here is the fact that you owned up to it. Other than that, it's still fucking horrible. We all learn the hard way. Trust me, I've written some real shit, too. Shit I'd never admit to now.

9. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Had someone ask what I thought about his Halloween lede. Told him I hated it and to avoid them. He wrote it anyways...

"Saturday night might have been all hallows eve, but by 4 p.m., Podunk College had already been through a living nightmare."

10. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Not only is that ultra****ed, but the part about "every mistake already made" also makes absolutely no sense.

Your editor sucks for letting that get into print.

SnarkShark likes this.
  11. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Did you then ask him why he asked you what you thought if he was going with it anyway? Those conversations are always filled with logical nuggets.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Translation: "Isn't this cute? I love me!"

You were supposed to rub his tummy then.

Doc Holliday, Tweener and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted