1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awful, awful news

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 20, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bobby Cox is still alive?

2. WS

WS Member

Derrick Lassic was the MVP of that Sugar Bowl if you're thinking about the Alabama win over Miami. Siran had finished his eligibility by then. Siran's had a very checkered past, let's just say. Way more so than slappy mentioned, but in no way did he or any of his family deserve it.

Word is, the guy went 10 miles the wrong way and hit the van going at least 80. He's the one that deserved to die in the whole shebang, and he did.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I was in Siran Stacy's "home" in Geneva, Ala,, the day he signed with Alabama.

I've been around poor people and I've been around dirt-poor people. The conditions those folks lived in defied definition. Nearly two decades later I'm still disturbed by those living conditions. I don't remember a father figure there that day, but I could be wrong.

A brother, not sure if it was younger or older, was later arrested for raping several elderly women in town. This I know for a fact because Mrs. PD's grandmother lived there at the time the assaults were taking place.

But Siran was always friendly to me and spoke to me by name when I covered the Tide in a previous lifetime. His wife was a former Alabama volleyball player, four-year letterwinner. I'm told he was trying to be a responsible husband and father.

This really, really hits home. I've driven that road where the wreck took place countless times while visiting in-laws. The last time I saw him was probably 15 years ago. It's a horrendous tragedy ... regardless of how you feel about whatever vile acts he was accused of 13 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted