1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

awesome 8-man comeback

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Nov 11, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Covered a game last night in which my state's defending 3A champion was down to my local team 32-7 at the half. Second half the state champs line up in this seldom seen offensive set called the polecat spread. They used three linemen and everyone else at WR.

Local team couldn't stop it, and before they knew it, state champs were down 32-29. Local team scores on a 75-yard pass from star quarterback to up-and-coming WR, but the all-important PAT was missed.

State champs come right back with their own score, but miss the PAT to leave the score at 38-35 with 8 minutes to play. Champs get a FG with 4 minutes left to tie the game and send it to OT.

Champs stop local team on fourth down and score on third down to win 44-38.

Star quarterback threw for 377 yards and just passed 10,000 for his career.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I've been wondering about this -- are 80-yard fields or 100-yard fields more common for 8-man? The last state I was in had 80-yard fields, but where I'm at now is the first place with 100-yard fields I've ever seen.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nearly everyone in Kansas has 80-yard fields. Only Wichita Word of Life, which isn't seen as a state-recognized school for football, uses 100-yard fields. Predictably, they have some insane scores there.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Jetmore, Macksville.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Nebraska does 80-yard fields, as well. You'd think there would be some kind of national standard.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm just impressed that so many people know exactly who Chef is referring to with Team A and Team B.

7. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

8-man is the shit. It's like the AFL, but on a full-sized field and the fans actually give a damn. I'm covering the one of the state's 8-man championships on Friday and can't wait.

My shop took a 90-60 something call-in. The box was four inches by itself.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Won't be there again this year..

May do something for them next week in Newton......(ps....why did they move state from Russell?)

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

That's the first thing Cohoon said in postgame was that he is a class act. After the two-point play was blown dead too early........he absolutely blew a gasket......anything within 20 feet of him was thrown onto the field...headsets, clipboards, hats, helmets, cheerleaders, everything.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Did some snooping around....and we were talking about wacky scores.......

National record.....

2 schools in Arizona got together for a little 116-108 shootout back in 2004.......ho----lee------shit.

Imagine doing that box.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

"You missed my son's two-point conversion."

"Lady, fuck you."

Draft saved Draft deleted