1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awards for relievers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Jayson Stark has an interesting idea in his latest Rumblings column: creating a Cy Young-level award for relief pitchers. His argument is valid (IMO): relievers rarely get any votes their way for the Cy Young and next to nothing for the MVP, the Rolaids Relief Award is based primarily on saves and relief pitching has become such an important part of the game.

I think it's a good idea, but only if it is not limited to just closers. If closers get little recognition for hardware, then set-up men must never even be thought of. I guess the biggest question(s) revolve around eligibility and by what measures to gauge who is the best relievers in either league. Thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings010122

PS - I also liked his suggestion for a possible name for this "award:" the Jerome Holtzman Award, after the man who created the save as a statistic.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just what we need...another useless award that some multi-millionaire can get another $1 mill bonus for winning.

Why not just give everybody a trophy for participating, like little league.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Willie Hernandez would beg to differ.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

While we're at it, whiy don't we just create an award solely for the best DH since they rarely figure into the MVP races?Maybe an award for the best utility infielder?

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Hence the use of "rarely," Slappy. He didn't say "Never."

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There's already the Rolaids Relief award for closers. How about the Summer's Eve Setup award?

I absolutely loathe "hold" as a statistic, by the way.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So would Bruce Sutter, Steve Bedrosian, Mark Davis, Eric Gagne, Sparky Lyle, Rollie Fingers and Dennis Eckersley.
    They get votes. They just don't get as many as the guys who throw 200 innings a year.

8. It's actually not a bad idea.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So do offensive linemen.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Moron agents are already using saves per inning pitched around arbitration time, whatever meaning that statistic actually bears.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That number cuts both ways, though. Saves x IP = wear and tear. The list of long-lasting relievers in my mind with a high number is short: Rivera.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A guy shouldn't be rewarded because he either doesn't have the stamina to be a starting pitcher or doesn't have the stamina to get nine outs every 10 days.

Draft saved Draft deleted