1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Award for just doing your job awesome?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by butch, May 1, 2007.

1. Amen. Consistently solid work is more impressive to me than a couple awards when it comes time to either evaluate employees or hire new ones. I'd rather have the guy (or girl) who does their job well every day, writes clean copy and doesn't bitch than the person who is hit or miss but happens to have won a press award for one of their few hits.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Do it for the love of the game, man. This ain't glamour work. It's tough but it's fun and rewarding. I worked 20 hours on Tuesday. What did I get out of it? Nothing but the satisfaction of knowing I put in the time. Just do it and don't expect anything. There are other lines of work more suitable if you expect something more. Lotta unemployed journos out there right now who would love to fill your position, in a heartbeat. Hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but again, do this job for the love of the game.

3. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Because chicks dig sportswriters. ::)

Yeah, right. :p

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

This thread depresses me. So do many others.

"Doing your job awesome."

Someone who writes "doing your job awesome" probably will struggle to do his job passably and only with the help of many patient souls.

YHS, etc

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, but -- and think carefully here, because this is key -- was he blowing smoke up your ass? ;)

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

thank you!!!! I can't write for shit......but that title is brutal. And I should know, because read I do good.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

Damn. I only worked 17 hours on Tuesday and 18.5 the Friday before. I must be lazy.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

ding!

9. Eh, I didn't feel like going in to work today so I didn't.

Despite the fact that I get paid less than most migrant workers, the fact that I can make my own hours is boss.

10. butch

butch Member

Or not. I'm in my late 20s and do not struggle with much of anything. And the point of the thread is exactly that, everywhere I've gone, the souls I work with do not have to worry about what I file and can reserve their patience for others who do not do their job awesome.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You're only as good as your last story, column or page. What you did yesterday has nothing to do with today. Have pride in what you do.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you used to work in radio dude, don't talk to us about pride. and just what is it that you do now?

Draft saved Draft deleted