1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Award for just doing your job awesome?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by butch, May 1, 2007.

1. cubman

cubman Member

Great point. I just won a first-place award in my state - my first first after several honorable mentions in my previous job - and while I would love for that to be a big deal in my current job hunt I'm not going to count on it. While some hiring editors may think a first is pretty cool, others may think it's an award for catching lightning in a bottle a few times. I know that's not the case but the point is I have to be consistent, not worry about awards and rewards and do my job well every day.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This describes the people who are now judging the contests.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Shouldn't that be the other way around?

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

the appreciation and respect from the people on my desk has always been enough for me. they're feedback is all the apprecciation and ego-boost i've needed. who know better than they do? ??? 8) ;D

5. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

The ladies. Oh, and the free food.

Seriously, as someone said earlier, don't get all wound up about awards. I've heard plenty of horror stories about writers who have been picked to serve as judges for regional press associations who spend 15 seconds reading a few of the stories submitted and then simply vote for a random piece.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Either your SE needs some work on his math or he doesn't think very much of you.

Wasn't that the Katy awards?

Oh, wait, that wasn't random. She voted for herself.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yeah, something like that I guess. I don't remember the exact quote (mind gets a little hazy), but I think the point he was making was I was a harder worker than the "award winner."

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yep. And personal pride

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I think it is important to make a distinction. And, I'm not sure this is the place to do it.

But, being a good writer and a good reporter are two different existences.
    The number that lives in both worlds is finite.

This may be the root of your anguish.

10. DKIA

DKIA Member

I'm only in it for the chicks.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

The motivation is a job well done. It's nice to win an award but no big deal if you don't. It's nice to get one, but no big deal if you don't. I'm wondering: Are you just filing gamers, advances and notes, or are you breaking news? How competitive is your beat? Do you occasionally venture outside the normal routine and produce an in-depth feature or enterprise?

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm curious, Butch: How old are you?

Draft saved Draft deleted