1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aw Suzy, stick to the NFL where you're good

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, May 16, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're such a sweetheart...maybe we should start calling you Ms. Boots

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I've got to be honest with you. Your arguments aren't very good. The fact that you don't know she's capable of doing more than NFL makes me wonder how long you've been watching sports.

But to address the question you say you want answered, despite the "stick to what you know" thread title... Why is she doing both? Because she can.

And she's going to get paid a ton of money for it.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I thought the point of this board was to prod, question and provoke thought about the decisions made in the world of sports journalism?

I'm hoping Suzy isn't being forced to do NFL and NASCAR because the execs in glass offices want a cute chick. I hope it is because she's known to be an intelligent and versatile broadcaster. We all know that business decisions are not solely made on experience alone, hence the reason for floating out the question: What are the reasons behind pushing such a heavy load of NFL and NASCAR on her, and was this a need-based decision to fill a quota?

IJAG, lono and wicked brought up a good point; she'll be a host, not an analyst - I hadn't thought about that.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Lisa Guerrero proved if you are given a prime assignment, you better know what the hell you're talking about. You cannot fake it in prime time.

5. lono

lono Active Member

And besides, when it comes to ESPN and NASCAR, eye candy never figures into the equation.

http://www.lat34.com/girl_on_jamie_little/jamie_little_9.jpg

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oooooooooh where's the picture of Little naked with a paint can over her crotch that made the rounds within 20 minutes of her announcement as an ESPN hire?

Never mind, found it. She claims she had bikini bottoms on but the FHM people Photoshopped them out.

Obviously NSFW.

http://i.timeinc.net/mx/content/images/jan04/011204jamie.jpg

7. Does anyone here really think that having Suzy Kolber doing whatever she's going to do is going to make one-tenth of a ratings point of difference? Christ, it's Suzy Kolber, not Oprah or Barbara Walters (although they would be cool as pit reporters).

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Not at all, but she doesn't detract. And that's actually huge these days.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Having seen Suzy explain cover 2 with the best of them, she clearly can learn about the complexity of cars making one big left turn for 3 hours.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I honestly believe that to sell NASCAR to non-NASCAR fans, which is ESPN's hope after all, you need someone to play the role of the bright, inquiring amateur seeking knowledge. Suzy will do fine in that spot. She's smart, is curious, and will come up with good ideas for steering the show.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But now how is ESPN going to use to sell soccer to non soccer fans?

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What's her stance on the confederate flag?

Draft saved Draft deleted