1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aw Suzy, stick to the NFL where you're good

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, May 16, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Was SportsJournalists.com around in 2001? Myers still sounds like a goof talking NASCAR.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Totally with Lugnuts....really disappointing to see Suzy called out for this.

Reporters don't change beats? They don't have opportunities to cover new sports?

Good for Suzy for trying something new. The 'eye candy' thing is ridiculous and shallow.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The point is, men are picked to host or do p x p on various sports all the time, and you don't see "Curt Menefee -- stick to what you know" threads.

And you don't see "Curt Menefee: NOT HOT!"

It's bullshit, it's all just such bullshit... and I get so tired of it.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And you're preaching to the choir here. I said early that Suzy will be just fine, that she's been interested in it, that she's there to host, not analyze, and that she'll have others to help steer her if she chooses.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What I got from it was 1) Suzy knows her NFL stuff really really good. She absolutely has credibility there. And 2) that NASCAR fans are very provincial about who covers them, and since ESPN is a northeastern entity, there's concern that some know-nothing yankee is going to walk in and invade. Since the appeal is still more southern, compared to sports like football and baseball which are not bound by regional appeal, it was simply a show of concern.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

So where's the outcry over Chris Myers?... Or any number of other non-Southern hosts and pxp guys who have covered the sport over the years?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hey yo, I'm not taking sides here! I also think there's some espn cynicism there too. But you could have Alyssa Milano giving reports in a string bikini and if all she's talking about is nascar then I ain't bothering.

8. Hmm....quel dilemma.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Suzy is a big-event presence who can handle anything thrown at her.
    This gives the NASCAR Countdown a big event credibility.
    Give ESPN credit, they allow someone who has no schtick, just solid work to handle this assignment.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Um, wait just a dern second. I never once called her eye candy. I was ASKING if this was a move to bring her on as eye candy?

And, if you read my post more carefully, I think she's SUPER smart and is awesome doing NFL work. Hell, look at the title of the thread, "stick to NFL where you're good at your job." I'd hate to see her lose that credibility she has worked so hard to attain by going to a sport where she could fail. I hope she succeeds. I really do. Why would I be jealous of her? I'm not in TV. Lordy. Point is, I'm wondering the reasons why she's going to do NFL and NASCAR?

C'mon now. That's all. You're fighting the wrong battle here because I'm on ya'll's side. Jesus.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, I went back to delete my "offensive" and I see it already was goine. Thanks, Headbutt-erator.

Now, seriously folks, can we all lighten up just a little, stop turning every flip comment into an argument or personal attack. There was no reason for anyone to cal me a jackass for one flip (and now deleted) comment.
    What are we all becoming, a bunch of Bootses?

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I called you an asshole, not a jackass.

Draft saved Draft deleted