1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aw Suzy, stick to the NFL where you're good

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, May 16, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Suzy Kolber or Angelique Chengelis... hmmm. let's think...

2. lono

lono Active Member

Suzy will do just fine ... she'll have plenty of volunteers helping to tutor her, no doubt.

3. Should we start a pool on which current or former drunken NASCAR driver will ask to kiss her?

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This thread is annoying. Somebody who calls herself "sxy" is calling out somebody else as "eye candy"?

Suzy Kolber is known to do her homework BIGTIME. I really thought that was common knowledge.

Ugh. It's not like I expect to see great things on an internet message board, but as low as my expectations are, this place still manages to disappoint me some days. spnited, c'mon man.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Luggy, cut Sxy some slack. She just hates us Yankees who invade them thare NASCAR tracks.

I'll echo those who say Suzy'll do fine. Anyone who can work alongside Stuart Scott for a couple years and make him look semi-intelligent (that sportsnight show was horrible) will do OK.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't think sxy was "calling her out", luggie. I think she was questioning ESPN's reasoning for putting someone on with limited NASCAR experience, and hoping it WASN'T an "eye candy" thing for the drooling rednecks.

7. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Suzy will do a fine job. She's a broadcaster, and a good one. Without getting into her "hotness", isn't it generally expected that most on air folk of both genders are attractive? I could understand the "eye candy" issue being raised if a lesser known, 28 year old with model looks was being hired for the job but Suzy moved past that question a decade ago.

8. Lugnuts

You know what would be a pertinent comment on this issue?... Rather than "stick to the NFL" or "not hot"?

This seems to parallel the Joe Buck situation. NASCAR is obviously a huge priority... so they turned to somebody super solid, even at the risk of spreading her too thin. FOX did the same thing with Buck last year when they attempted to make him studio host and p x p guy on their lead game. After a year of that kind of thing, Buck decided not to do it anymore.

This will be really tough for her. The travel will be brutal. It's a big challenge.

IJAG, how would sxy like it if someone said she should stick to what she knows-- smooches and smiles.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I keep saying the same thing to Musberger.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Lugs, a good point. Sundays in New Hampshire followed by Mondays in San Francisco could suck hard.

However, that's a cheap shot at sxy. A comparable thing would be if we knew what her job was and if her employer decided to have her do both that and something else, and we said "Aw, sxy, stick with your first job where you're better."

11. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Mention beer and gambling instead and you'll be on the right track with Brent.

12. Lugnuts

Oh for heaven's sake, it's not a cheap shot. I'm trying to get her to think.

A few years ago, a woman got my dream job. My gut reaction was, of course, "why not me?" That's what we all do. Thoughts of, "What does she know about X" ran through my head.

But the truth is, she did know something about X, and what she didn't know, she got up to speed on very quickly. Which is what good journalists-- including most people on this board-- do. If we're handed an assignment, we get up to speed fast. If you can't do that, you fail and fall out of this business fairly quickly.

Sxy obviously loves NASCAR and fancies herself a racing expert. Great. She's going to be critical of new faces attached to the sport, and I would argue even more critical of a new woman. Unfortunately, that's our nature. Chris Myers had not done NASCAR before he went to FOX to host it... where was the "stick to what you know" thread for him?

But I think it's about time for women to face the reality that there are many, many, many qualified female journalists out there. It's not just a few. And their qualification, particularly when you reach the level Suzy Kolber has, really has nothing to do with the way you look.

Rufino had it right -- Suzy Kolber earned her stripes eons ago when she was doing general assignment work during her first stint with ESPN. She's way past and above the old bullshit "eye candy" crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted