1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aw Suzy, stick to the NFL where you're good

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, May 16, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I really like Kolber on the NFL where she can speak with authority, but I'm just not sure about this move.

Kolber, also an anchor on SportsCenter, will host NASCAR Countdown for ESPN and ESPN on ABC's coverage of the final 17 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup races of 2007, beginning with the July 29 Allstate 400 at the Brickyard. She also will host NASCAR Countdown for NASCAR Busch Series telecasts on ESPN2 and will host selected practice and qualifying coverage for both series. Kolber's NASCAR schedule will include hosting ESPN2's coverage of the NASCAR Busch Series event June 2 at Dover, Del., and ESPN on ABC's telecast of the NASCAR Busch Series on July 14 at Chicagoland Speedway.

Brent Musburger will continue as race coverage host for telecasts on ESPN on ABC, including all 10 races in the "Chase for the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup" and other selected race telecasts.

"Many NASCAR drivers pull double duty with two races on the same weekend, and Suzy is going to be doing that with NASCAR and Monday Night Football," said Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president, studio and remote production. "Brent's big-event presence combined with Suzy's reporting and anchoring expertise will set the stage for NASCAR's exciting stretch run."

In 2006, Kolber became the first female recipient of the Maxwell Club's Sports Broadcaster of the Year award and in 2004 was named to Sports Business Daily's 10 favorite sports TV personalities of the past 10 years.

"NASCAR has always interested me," said Kolber. "Not only for the cars and speed, but for the accessibility, and how fans can get into it. I'm going to be surrounded by experts, and my job is to be the curious one, ask questions and let the experts share their knowledge with the viewers. The most important thing to me in covering any sport is respecting the sport and the athletes."

Kolber joined ESPN's MNF team during its inaugural year in 2006 after five seasons on ESPN's Sunday Night Football. She worked the ABC Sports broadcast of Super Bowl XL in 2006 in Detroit and contributed to the network's pre-game show.

Kolber regularly hosts ESPN's year-round NFL Live news and information show, and she has played a major role in ESPN's comprehensive coverage of the annual NFL Draft. For the 1999 through 2003 NFL seasons, Kolber was the host of NFL Match-Up. During the NFL off-season, she serves as an anchor on SportsCenter and as an on-site host for ESPN's tennis coverage at the French Open and Wimbledon. She previously hosted the X Games and Winter X Games and has covered Triple Crown horse racing events for ESPN studio programs.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Doesn't former Tar Hell and Cleveland Cavalier Brad Daugherty (sp?) do NASCAR as well?

3. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Yes, he does.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Yep. He grew up a NASCAR fan, though. Even wore No. 43 when he played bball.

I just wonder how much she knows about the sport or if this is a move to get a woman/eye candy on air?!

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you think Suzy jumped up and down and held her breath till she got to cover NASCAR or would ESPN tell her to start boning up on lug wrenches?

How does that work anyway?

6. zagoshe

I didn't realize that about Daugherty.

I was wondering -- why is he on there? He's a basketball player and feared the same thing you do about Suzy -- is he doing this -- as opposed to the NBA playoffs or college hoopes -- because they just wanted a black face?

It is good to know he actually enjoys the sport and thus likely knows a lot about it.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Daugherty used to own a NASCAR team. He's followed it basically his whole life. Big Petty fan.

Kolber could be just an excuse to get a girl on camera, though they have others. I just think, as she said in that release, that she's the curious one asking the questions and letting the experts talk. She's hosting a show, she's not an analyst. BIG difference. Plus, they have producers and the like to get her steered in the right direction.

Suzy's a smart woman. She'll do fine, I think.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If Kolber is on NASCAR coverage, at least I have some reason to watch.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

This is about her qualifications? As are the three prior references to eye-candy?

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

There was one previous mention of "eye candy" and it was asked by sxy, it was not a comment on her being eye candy.

And ondeadline's post could be because he likes Kolber. I like Van Pelt. If he hosted something, I would consider it a reason to watch. Doesn't mean I want to bone him.

11. Uncomfortably, I'd reckon.

12. zagoshe

So this is not a move that Suzy wanted?

Draft saved Draft deleted