1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avs beat writer suffers Twitter meltdown

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It is Fucking amazing what some people think is OK to do and get away with these days in the work place. He acted like an insane imbecile and it's obvious he was drunk while representing his employer in a public forum.

If you went to Burger King and a drunk employee demeaned your gender, called you a dick or a pussy, then started cursing everyone around you who came to your defense, do you think that asshole should keep his job?

Your opinion is a sad state of the America we live in today.

This fucker should be fired, whether he has a family to support or not. He made his own bed when he couldn't control his alcohol consumption.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would love to hear management explain to the women of the Post that "pussy" is an acceptable word, or one that isn't acceptable but isn't really that bad.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Good luck covering the next misogyny scandal in sports with that attitude.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The part none of us know is what his interaction with bosses and co-workers have been like over the years. We know about 2 public rants he's gone on.

Who wants to bet the rest of his work relationships and interaction with readers have been fully professional and appropriate? Not me. And if he comes through this one unscathed (other than the 2-week sitdown), the message sent to him is that what he did really wasn't THAT bad.

5. PW2

PW2 Member

Did the writer admit that he was drinking?

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

If he worked for me, he'd be out of a job. But you're right, the message they're sending is that it really wasn't that bad.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I can't speak for his relationship with readers, but I've always gotten the sense he was well-liked by co-workers.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am stunned that someone as talented as Frei is on the number six beat in Denver. Actually I am stunned that the Post has anyone on it. The Post bought the Loveland paper and their sports editor seems to covering them also. The Post also owns the Boulder paper and they appear to have two staffers on CU sports. But the Post also has a beat reporter on the Buffs. They seem to have an awfully large staff. Which is great but surprising.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, the staff is roughly half the size it was a decade ago, but I don't think they've scaled back coverage on any of the main beats. I'm sure the three remaining copy editors are thrilled by that.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The sharing of content rules that are supposed to be in place within DFM don't always apply to the Post, certainly not in sports. Because if they did, there would not be a doubling-up of the CU beat with Boulder and the CSU beat with Loveland. You would think the bean counters at a company like DFM, which is losing money and has suffered numerous layoffs and is on the market with no takers, would recognize that sending someone from the Longmont paper and someone from the Post to Reno for an 8:30 p.m. Saturday night CSU kickoff is not necessary. Or to Boston for a CSU-Boston College game. Or to Boston again when CU played Massachusetts.

And it's certainly not reciprocated the other way, as in the other DFM papers in Colorado do not get all of the content from the Post, most notably the alleged "scoop" of Pat Bowlen stepping away from day-to-day operations of the Broncos. Those papers found out like everyone else -- when the Post dropped it online at 2 a.m.

11. RecoveringJournalist

I thought they were trading Broncos coverage for Air Force coverage with the Springs paper, but last I checked they still had someone traveling with Air Force.

They would be better off using the Camera for CU coverage, the Fort Collins paper for CSU coverage and the Springs paper for AFA coverage, and that would free up considerable resources.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that Colorado Springs started staffing Denver sports again when ownership changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted