1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avs beat writer suffers Twitter meltdown

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 8, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's the same way in New York, Boston, Detroit, Philly, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and maybe a couple others among the non-Canadian teams. With a lot of the others, everything depends on how good the team is. I think there are papers that don't even travel with the local NHL team.

2. JordanA

JordanA Member

Wow, what a clown.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Know Adrian pretty well. Good reporter, broke the story of the NHL lockout ending in Jan. 2013.

I watched that exchange happen in real time. Was sitting at home, working on my computer as it played out. I debated: should I call him? Should I DM him and say stop? I've done it before when I thought someone was going too far. Since we're not that close, I didn't.

Boy, do I regret that decision.

There's no defending it; he made a mistake and there are consequences. But, I really hated some of what happened that night. There's such a mob mentality. It all started when Dater called a certain player "a pussy" because that player seriously injured a Colorado prospect, a concussion that changed the latter's career for the worse.

Adrian's got 26,000 followers, and what I've learned is is when even 1 per cent of that comes back at you, it feels like a stampede. It's overwhelming. He got defensive and it went off the rails. I've been there and I feel very strongly that we (as sports reporters) should understand this. Another reporter emailed him about the use of the word and why it objectifies women. Dater, clearly in a bad spot, responded nastily. The reporter put it on twitter.

It was brutal. I bet that reply, as much as anything else, got him in trouble. It really bothered me, because it fed the mob and made things worse.

Adrian's got an edgy online persona, and it backfired on him this time. But he's also a good reporter who's done a lot of strong work with a team that operates in a real "cone of silence." He's been doing this for, what, 20 years and we think he should be fired because of this situation and an ESPN rant from whenever? (My feelings on that: it was pulled solely because he worked with Woody Paige. Bad column? Fine. But something that should be removed from the internet? Really?)

Come on.

Firing is the easy thing to do. Instead, it looks like the bosses saw the big picture, a reporter who made a huge mistake (a reporter with a family) and said, "Here's your warning. Better not happen again."

4. RecoveringJournalist

Agree with every word. He is a good reporter. He may have also broken the story of the Avs coming to Denver.

I'm guessing he's been warned before, probably after the ESPN rant.

I hope he doesn't get fired, and I don't think he will be. That will probably be a reflection of The Post's unwillingness to fight the union than anything else, but he should count his blessings if he survives this.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

As long as this guy gets off social media, it won't happen again.

6. RecoveringJournalist

I worked with a NFL writer who refused to do Twitter until he was told he had no choice. Now, he posts links to his stories and retweets, but has yet to write a single word on his own in three years.

Sometimes I think this is the smartest way to go.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As a reader, that's what I like it best for, the links to stories. Secondarily, quick breaking news (i.e. someone's been hired, someone's inactive this week, someone died, someone won, someone lost, etc., etc.)

Way down on the list are 140-character opinions and quips. Not that I don't engage in that myself from time to time.

8. RecoveringJournalist

If I was still in the business, I think I would avoid showing any opinion whatsoever on Twitter.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Come on? Yeah. He should be fired. He's supposed to be professional. Obviously, he's more juvenile than professional. If I had an exchange like that with readers or others, I'd be fired. That's the expectation for all of us. I'd fire his ass the second I had the chance. I don't give a damn how good a guy or reporter he is or if he has a family of eight or three goldfish. The only way that idiot learns from his mistake is the hard way. Damn drunk bastard.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He objectified women and cursed at his readers and a colleague who was trying to help when they called him on it. He did it all to make a raging fanboy point about the team he covers. Given that this isn't his first blowup, how could anyone argue against firing him (or at least moving him off the beat)? Well, you know, unless you "Know Adrian pretty well" but are "not that close."

There are hundreds of talented journalists who would apply to be The Denver Post's Avalanche beat reporter. Most of them probably wouldn't publicly embarrass the organization with a sexist and profane rant directed at readers and a player for a rival team.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

And how does it impact him actually being able to cover the Avs and even the Kings and Western Conference? I'm sure he has the ability to get around the mess he created with the players and teams, but you would think he made it a little more tough to do his job. At the very least in the short term.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that some of us are pretty reluctant to call for the firing of someone who presumably has a wife, kids, a mortgage, etc., etc. Maybe he deserves it. I don't know. But weight the stakes against the offense - essentially an anger management problem, apparently, on social media - the idea of this guy losing his job makes me, and others here, I think, a little queasy.

Draft saved Draft deleted