1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avs beat writer suffers Twitter meltdown

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 8, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The only surprising thing in all of this is that it took him this long to get canned. That speaks more to the paper than anything else. He's the first writer in the union to be fired in 25+ years. That doesn't count Jim Armstrong, who was an exempt columnist when he was fired for gambling a couple years ago.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Quite true. And Armstrong technically quit, though it was one one of those quit-or-you're-fired deals.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I saw his byline on Bleacher Report earlier this month. I thought he'd been gone awhile, but for all I know he's been working for them all along.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Let's face it, you can't really write what you feel if you are a media member on Twitter. You almost have to become a different person in some cases which is bullshit, but a different topic than the one at hand. If a writer like this guy doesn't like what a person is tweeting, he can always block that person that offends him. Better to block a lot of people than get fired for telling somebody to fuck off.

Draft saved Draft deleted