1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avoiding "Smith thinks...", "Jones thinks..."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 24, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

When you read Heinz's stuff, he uses only "said" forms. And no modifying adverbs, either.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

What a great show! I'm a big fan of Hannibal Hayes and Kid Curry.

3. Thank you, everyone.

One more thing I don't feel like starting a new thread for:

"Detroit" is singular, but "Pistons" is plural. So you could conceivably say, "Detroit is slumping" and, later, "The Pistons are still in playoff contention." But you're talking about the same entity both times. What's the plan here?

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

No plan ... that's the way it is, city name takes a singular, nickname a plural.

Unless you're in England ... then it's "Detroit are."

5. Fair enough...just wondered if it was seen as bad form to switch back and forth.

That "Italy are..." stuff was mighty annoying during the World Cup.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Italy is ... The Italians are ...

Pretty simple, really

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

When did this become highschoolsportsjournalists.com?

I mean, this is a little on the remedial side. What next, threads titled: "What Are The Five Ws?" and "What is the inverted pyramid?"

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The rookie needs help. If you don't want to provide any, then don't read this thread.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was taught it should always be...

Smith said he thinks, then followed by a quote...

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Me, too. But we should be able to find more creative ways to write around something so cumbersome ... don't you think?

11. I'm not in j-school, and I'm not getting guidance at my paper, so this board is my education. Some of my questions will be at a far lower level than you all are at, but I want them answered, so I will continue to ask.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yes, far be it from us to be helpful to young people in the biz. What are we thinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted