1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avoid the obvious

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by joe_schmoe, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Problem is, if you don't warn the writers off this stuff in advance, you're gonna get five or 10 or 20 different Halloween ledes throughout the paper.

And that shit gets old fast.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For who?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nothing like having 10 Halloween or stormy night game stories on deadline.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Each reader is likely going to read one of them.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's senior night. Everybody has a senior night. It's not special.

Other than that, I agree with this. Don't force it, don't be overly cute, but lighten up and have some damn fun once in a while.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

For the readers.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, every team over .500 or in any kind of playoff contention (which generally means the same thing) keeps track on how the other teams in its league are doing.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I think it would be funny to go the opposite direction - a mandate that every story in the paper have a halloween lead. Could be an interesting day on the wedding announcements page, but easy and insensitive in obits.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Only time I would use a gimmicky, holiday-themed lede would be on Halloween.

And only if a trick play was used to help win the game.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I did five pages worth of high school football Halloween headlines one night years ago.

And MM and Dick are right. The readers are fine with the holiday "overkill." It's a rare day, have a little fun.

But if it's really a problem, we should also be careful not to run more than one Halloween photo in the paper.

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Prep football on Halloween? Christmas is coming early for some lucky writers!

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that. We have a feature story running tomorrow on a guy named Christmas.
    Hope it's not a turkey.

Draft saved Draft deleted