1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AVG not free anymore?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I did the Windows updates yesterday. This morning, after checking my overnight AVG Free anti-virus scan, I saw that it wasn't working properly: A .bin file is missing.

So, I went through the online help section and found myself at the point where I decided to uninstall and reinstall AVG Free. At the AVG site, it was no longer an option.

I'm running a 30-day trial version of the full protection right now, and if I like it I suppose I'll pay for it. I've been through the ringer in the past month or so with McAfee problems (I dumped it) and now this. I did get some adware protection that I now wonder if it might have been bogus and slipped some stuff into my computer under the guise of protection.

Anyway, anyone else no longer have free AVG?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's still free. I re-downloaded a few months ago, and they did their damndest to hide the free link, but you can still get it.

http://www.avg.com/product-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Try Avast instead. AVG is becoming annoying. Among other things, it won't install under Vista because it's looking for an update that's not available for my installation.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

4. Johnny Dangerously

Do you get good protection against spyware/adware?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's what SpyBot and AdAware are for. :)

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, mine gave me that .bin thing. But I just clicked on AVG, updated it, and I'm golden.

7. Johnny Dangerously

I was unable to update. Tried several times, then went on to other steps that didn't work before just trying to uninstall and reinstall.

8. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Hey, exact same thing happened to me. Got the .bin (whatever that is) file missing message two or three days ago and couldn't get it to update. Now this morning, it's working fine.

I just assumed God fixed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted