1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Average journalism major starting salary is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yep.

I took a huge hit when I went from preps to a college beat, at the same salary, because I wasn't getting significant mileage any more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Drip

Drip Active Member

But the part they didn't tell you about was all the fun things you'd miss out on and how many cars you'd bury at an early age.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

As I said, I know people hired straight out of college by those newspapers.

4. Dick Whitman

I bet the vast majority of reporters at major dailies started at major dailies straight out of college. And I bet that the vast majority of them make well over $41K a year, from day one.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I never did. Not in 10 years. Got very close, though.

6. Dick Whitman

Sometimes I wonder what level salary would have kept me in the business, in perpetuity. Maybe $60K-$70K. Maybe.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I disagree. There are a lot of stepping-stone newspapers. There's no way the baseline salary for entry-level reporters at, say, the Fayetteville Observer tops $41,000. But that's one example of a newspaper with a reputation as a talent developer.

8. JackReacher

If they had offered me that salary at my last newspaper stop, I would have thought long and hard about it. I likely would have stuck it out another year or two before moving back to civilization.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's experiences from even five years ago have much to do with what's happening today. Certainly my experience from 20 years ago -- major daily, $31K, and fuckin' A was I living LARGE -- is not something that's worth comparing.

10. JackReacher

The landscape has definitely changed.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's also depending on the paper following the labor laws and actually paying you for the overtime.

12. JackReacher

Obviously.

Draft saved Draft deleted