1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Average journalism major starting salary is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Jan 28, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Well, that was a fun way to waste 5 minutes while on hold with the U.S. Department of Education. GIMME MY TAX FORM, BITCHES!!!

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Haven't we already chosen to forgo watchdog journalism when we cut investigative reporters but continue to dedicate space and resources to collecting agate? What's really more important?

Also, haven't we already chosen to forgo watchdog journalism we we have beat writers continue to do gamers, notebooks and features, over and over again, but won't give reporter said time to chase down other stories. What's really more important?

3. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Amen.

4. Who gives a crap about local news, unless it's an issue that directly affects them? Does any paper actually conduct market research that's accurate?

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Board Rep? Seriously? What the fuck? Who the fuck cares?

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think we should move along from this Laker fan lover's quarrel and get back to the pressing issue of whether it's feasible or not to save middle class journalism with Doc's solution of "doing it for bitches, not money."

7. Doc Holliday

I knew you guys would come around to my way of thinking. ;)

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I happen to enjoy the quarrel. Adds some spice to the board.

Anyway, on middle class journalism: Who saves it? And why? How long does the savior's commitment last?

No plan is feasible, though I'm sure there would be plenty of applicants to participate in Doc's solution.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I find it sort of discouraging the anti-government tea party types aren't more interested in shaming politicians who spend and spend and spend through simple means of shining a light on this crap. If I were a disgruntled billionaire fed up with giving Karl Rove money to light on fire, I'd listen to any proposal that involved buying a newspaper (or website like Talking Points Memo) for relative pennys and not giving a shit about its losses as long as it "exposed" this rampant government waste they're so convinced exists.

I'm not liberal trolling either. I think these guys could change public sentiment much easier with real reporting, even if it was ideologically driven like TPM or The New Republic. Instead of trying to be the Weekly Standard, though, be localized and accurate. I'd love to read and support a publication that exposed the fraud and corruption in my heavily Democratic state instead of just listening to these same people birch and bitch about birth certificates on local talk radio.

10. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

I never went to journalism school, but I did start out as a sports writer at a newspaper at more than $40,900.

They're saying $40,900 is an AVERAGE. That's not a high number at all. I would sure hope that anyone who earned any 4-year college degree is making more than $40,900.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHA, oh, that's priceless.

12. Doc Holliday

And laughable. Join us in the real world won't you?

Draft saved Draft deleted