1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Average journalism major starting salary is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

@Radd: In that case, unfuck you and yours. :-*

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At the risk of interrupting this agita-fest, Norrin, I too would like to know where these local boots-on-the-ground sites exist.

I think in the future you'll see some stuff from a dedicated and possibly OCD person -- say someone who catalogues a county's environmental violations -- but it's going to be tough to turn it into a business model.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

You'll obviously never see me rip someone who gets laid off. They already feel crappy enough, whether it's because they didn't or did see it coming.

As I have expressed here many times, my wish is for everyone who can to get out before they're forced out. But no solution is universal.

That's the problem:

You guys are thinking old-school.

"Where, oh where, are the replacements for what newspapers brought?!?!?!"

Society has decided that what newspapers brought wasn't important enough. Society is not demanding that Patch get better. Society has moved on.

There is no replacement. There is no demand for local news. Those who care can find the "official" information released on the web by the various local governments. Is it minimal and untrustworthy at times?

Sure. But citizens don't care; they've got to continue to try to secure their own piece of the economic pie. They don't have time to delve deeper. And they do not care to.

It's like how some say the best audience for longform is other longform writers, or how those of my ilk pretty much understand that the bulk of academic writing is only read by other academics, if at all.

Only newspaper people truly care about the demise of newspapers.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But the fact that local governments can operate unchecked, that's a problem.

5. Riptide

And the unengaged middle-class public, which stops demanding information and accountability, will wonder why the rich keep getting richer at their expense.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Absolutely.

But no one cares until it affects their own pocketbook. Then they'll show up at a city council meeting to complain.

It's not like media checked these things every time to prevent corruption. A lot of reporting was after the fact.

I understand that less media means less reportage. But there is no possible solution. It's over. We* lost.

*If "we" is defined as "individuals who appreciated local journalism's former role in society."

Also true.

I was correct when I said that there is information for them, if they just look for it. But that takes effort.

I'd also like to again spotlight what completely ignorant bullcrap the following is for the board:

Previously, I would have bothered to PM Double Down to discuss. But such foolishness was clearly a complete waste of time.

Seriously, the above is complete fabrication, right down to getting my a-hole tendency to do "THIS!!!!!!!!!!" wrong.

7. Riptide

That was the point of my story: My paper didn't even release the hounds.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's not a fabrication, and you're still a complete douchebag. I stand by it.

I know your board rep !!1!!!1!!!! is very important to you, despite constantly whining about how much others seek validation and attention here, but you'll just have to live with me pointing out what a slimy fraud you are. I know it won't bother you, deep down, because I'm such an insecure clown, right?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, that's a growing issue. More and more often management doesn't dare rock the boat for fear of losing advertisers/subscribers.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Those for whom you carry water are very pleased by these posts.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If you every need someone to help you with your second thesis that you can later anonymously talk shit about, let me know. I'll round up all the people whose asses I so frequently kiss so you can leech off them like the bitch that you are, then talk shit abou them after the fact.

By the way, I think you should make your second thesis DARK!!!1!!!!111!!!!! because, despite how much this bothers you with remakes and sequels, it might help it be a little more commercial.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Accuracy and humor are not your strong suits. God bless your obviously excellent editors.

Draft saved Draft deleted