1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Average journalism major starting salary is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Jan 28, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

$40,900. I call bullcrap.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/202047/starting-salary-for-j-school-grads-rises-to-41k-on-average/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Advertising was $47,200. The rest of the field is thus quite a bit lower. And isn't this just inclusive of those who actually got jobs and thus disregards the employment possibilities as a whole? (Also I think the number includes journalism majors who said fuck it right off the bat and went and got other jobs.)

Also of note on that link: Mizzou J-School grads have lower starting salaries than graduates of any other school. Kinda humorous to all of us who walked around feeling all elite because we were the only ones coming from out of state!

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/187942/mizzou-j-school-grads-have-lowest-starting-salaries-of-any-missouri-graduates/

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I made $9.50 an hour my first gig out of college. By the time I left my last journalism job five years ago I nearly hit the $40,000 mark.

Maybe in different parts of the country where cost of living is higher ... or something.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It would guess somewhere around $20-25,000 if you are talking newspapers. Probably more if it's magazines, PR or something else.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I made $16,600 at my 1st TV gig. It took a loooong time to double that mark with many jumps in the middle.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm eight years in, never made more than $35K, watched almost everyone I graduated with get fired.

Swell industry.

Only blame myself, though, for getting into it knowing how bad the pay was even in good times.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You don't do it for the money bitches.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You're right...I do it for the bitches.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Great crowd-sourcing here tonight:

http://twitter.com/richarddeitsch

Go read his timeline over the last couple hours; lots of people sharing their horror stories to Deitsch on Twitter.

10. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

It's pretty interesting. And disheartening from a financial standpoint.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

First gig in 2002 made 21K as a sports reporter at a small weekly. Second stop was at a 3 times weekly and made just less than 25k before taxes for 3 1/2 years. My younger sister was working in the same city at a Wendys as a cashier making as much as I was based on what they considered my hourly wage ($12/hr based on a 40 hour week, but in reality I rarely worked less than 60 hours and never less than 50).

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

My ass on 40K. If that's the case then take a look at the salaries being offered on journalismjobs.com. I can't believe poynter would put this shit out. I'm very disappointed.

Draft saved Draft deleted