1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avengers: Endgame (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I got the feeling they are the same age as when they vanished. Tony's daughter was born post snap, so that's why she didn't age. Scott Lang's daughter who didn't vanish did age.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I warned against this kind of thing, but there is a huge disconnect between some of the post-snap scenes, in which it's like Thanos never happened, which would be semi-plausible, and other scenes, such as Tony's funeral, which are obviously in 2023, assuming Infinity War was 2018. But who cares? It's a fucking comic book. If I wanted my entertainment to make sense, I'd have led a much different life than I did.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I have a feeling all the people on Spider Man’s high school trip this summer were snapped.

Neutral Corner and bigpern23 like this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Before I read all of this:

People loudly sobbing in the theater was a bit much. Not that I don't get the reaction but loud funeral sobs were just getting people wanting attention. Now on to read this

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Why didn’t Tony put the mask on before the snap?

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm aware what characters we're saying goodbye to and why they received most of the screen time. I'm fine with that. I would have just liked a bit more Carol Danvers. Her entrance to the final battle was amazing though. I was really hoping for a Carol-Thor team-up in the early goings in space going for Thanos.
    Overall, the movie was awesome. The third act was everything you could dream of and more. Just awesome.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Watched this earlier today. As someone who read the original Infinity Gauntlet in real time - and read other stories which Endgame echoes (Age of Apocalypse / Avengers Forever) - I felt like I was watching the stories of my youth come alive. Yeah, time travel can make your head hurt, and it may suck sometimes, but I just went with it - just like when I was a kid.

It was great seeing Cap wield the hammer, loved seeing Hawkeye as a badass. I didn't read too many stories with the big 3, but enjoyed seeing Cap, Thor and Iron Man battle Thanos. The first 45 minutes were a little slow and I'm sure someone can pick holes in the time traveling, but I thought it was great.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Scout answered, but yes. I think he's toted the hammer a time or two in the comics (maybe during the Infinity Gauntlet storyline) and might be one of the only humans capable of doing so.
    It was also a great payoff to this scene from Age of Ultron. The look on Thor's face then, and then his "I knew it!" exclamation in Endgame were great:

He returned it to Asgard with the Reality Stone. Thor and Rocket took both of them out of the original timeline, so both needed to be returned to set things back to normal.

9. Spartan Squad

Just to echo what everyone has said, this was such a fitting ending. Absolutely stuck the landing. Time travel is always a pain in the ass, so I try not to think about it too hard. But I appreciated it. I wonder if the answer to "if you took Thanos out of 2014 and killed him in 2023, how could the snap happened at all?" is perhaps Tony's snap restored Thanos and his minions to 2014. That might be problematic as well and it might be best to just not think about it.

As for Gamora, Starlord is searching for her but his search wasn't yielding anything when. I think Tony's snap took out everyone who had traveled with Thanos from 2014 including Gamora.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As an aside, I'm pretty proud of myself for making it through the entire three hours without having to run out for a piss break.
    And did anyone else notice a surprising lack of trailers? I don't think there were any. I remember a Coke commercial, and then it jumped straight to Clint's farm. Took me a good 10 seconds to realize the movie had started.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Our little theater had a few previews.

12. Spartan Squad

I got four or five. Godzilla, Fast and Furious, X Men and Star Wars if I remember right (might be one I'm forgetting). But there was an unexpected start with the Hawkeye cold open. It was a little weird to get two title cards.

Draft saved Draft deleted