1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avengers: Endgame (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Who are the ones bitching whenever a woman does something cool? Just the incels, or are there nerd incels?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Would the incels who aren't nerds even care?

3. Regan MacNeil

I mean, you don't have to be a nerd to like a comic book movie. My wife, for example, is not a nerd. She has the viewing habits of a 14-year-old girl (romcoms, Fuller House, etc.), but she's definitely not a nerd.

I probably am a nerd, but not about comic books.

4. outofplace

Your idea for Dr. Doom would also tie into the MCU's history of adapting bits and pieces of different storylines in the comics. Doom actually did try to take Tony Stark's place in the Infamous Iron Man comic book series. At the time, Stark was in a sort of stasis after the events of Civil War II. Doom decided he wanted to be a hero and fill the void left by the absence of Iron Man.

I think an MCU version of Dr. Doom could actually start off with the intent of being good rather than trying to fool everybody, but eventually his ego gets in the way and he does a heel turn.

5. outofplace

Fair point, but I do think there is a difference between liking those movies and getting into them enough to be pissed off about what certain characters do. My wife has enjoyed many of the comic book movies. She still goes even though my daughter and I are just fine going without her. But I can't imagine her ever getting upset over something a character does the way the incel idiots whine about Captain Marvel or Black Widow getting to be bad asses.

6. Regan MacNeil

My wife probably enjoyed Captain Marvel more than any other Marvel movie, because of the Girl Kicking Major Ass feature.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. outofplace

Mine didn't care about that aspect. I was hoping that would appeal to my daughter, but she didn't love it, either. She did love Goose, but was otherwise disappointed.

I thought the Marvel women team-up moment was a little distracting, but I get why it was there. I took it as a nod to A-Force, a comic book series I enjoyed, and it worked for me on that level. I know some women love the aspect of female characters kicking ass in these movies. My daughter is a big fan of Gamora, Shuri and Okoye. But she's much more into the men of Marvel. In some cases, specifically Spider-Man, she really likes the actor. More often she loves the characters, especially in the case of Iron Man.

8. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Batman's storyboarding seems like a pretty good way to follow the Under Siege storyline with Doom standing in for Baron Zemo II.

9. Regan MacNeil

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

First guy: dick

Second guy: evil psycho

Fake being someone's friend just to exact revenge on them? Da fuq?!

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That would make sense, too. Doom's ego has always been his biggest flaw, and trying to work in a team concept and alongside guys like Rhody and Sam who totally buy into that idea would be like oil and water. Without the strong personalities of Cap, Iron Man and Thor to keep him in check, Doom does what he wants no matter the collateral damage and pisses off the rest of the Avengers. Then we get the heel turn.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm completely on board with Guy No. 2. I respect the fuck out of that dude. He played a long game and fucked up the other dude's Marvel Cinematic Universe. Fuck Guy No. 1. He deserved it.

Guy No. 1 is lucky that Guy No. 2 didn't go Thor-With-Stormbreaker-On-Thanos'-Ass on him.

Draft saved Draft deleted