1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avatar: See it this weekend, and see history...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Dec 17, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

James Cameron is going to marry the first action star he lays. And she's going to treat him like shit. You know why? Because you can't respect someone who won't respect himself.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Beautiful.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ladies and gentlemen, you are such a wonderful crowd. We'd like to play a little tune for you. It's one of my personal favourites and I'd like to dedicate it to a young man who doesn't think he's seen anything good today - James Cameron, this one's for you.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good parallel, JR, and most re-imaginings of Shaespeare are terrible.
    With the exception of Ian McKellen's 'Richard III,' which was brilliant.
    But it wasn't brilliant because of the updated presentation. It was brilliant because of McKellen's protrayal.
    Of course, you could argue that the changed presentation is what allowed McKellen to put his particular spin on the character.

Anyway, that 'Richard III' also had Downey in it, and he was terrible.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Anywhere you see it will be in 3D so you'll get most of the effects regardless of where you are; although the next time I see it will be in IMAX.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

According to the AP review/feature on Downey/the movie, Doyle fans won't be let down: the story apparently stays relatively true to the book/story/characters.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Well, I was all jacked up to see this today with the kids, but they are pretty lukewarm to the idea of seeing it so I guess I'm waiting ...

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Call me sir, goddamnit!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't believe Cameron didn't get the bends when he fell into the pool. [/tying it all together nicely]

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Pardon my French, but Cameron is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his a_s, in two weeks you'd have a diamond."

I'm probably still childish, but because I still laugh at the above line to this day.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

Cameron's "Aquaman" rocked. ;D

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I thought Avatar was an incredibly stunning film. The visual effects, in 3D, are like nothing ever put on film. That alone doesn't make the film inherently great, but in this case, Cameron creates a fully realized world borne of his own imagination and basic geo-political constructs.

I consider myself a pseudo film snob. The story didn't lack, which is already becoming cliche in describing this movie. The villains were two-dimensional as we many of the "real" actors. But that world ... wow. Rich visuals and enough backstory to really immerse a viewer.

Does it change film history? No individual movie does that. Yet Avatar boosts filmmaking, and digital effects especially, up Hollywood's evolutionary ladder like LOTR, Jurassic Park, ET and Star Wars before it.

Draft saved Draft deleted