1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avatar: See it this weekend, and see history...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

If anyone can do a coke addict, Downey would be the guy.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought Holmes was addicted to opium.

The movie has an upside, and, from what I understand, they are already filming a sequel, they being so confident the first one will be a hit.

even if it bombs in the US, it could do very well in Britain and other places overseas making it a hit.

As for Avatar, I've been forbidden from seeing it at midnight tonight, but I will see it over the weekend.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Judging by the previews and clips I've seen on the net and on TV, I just don't get all the hype about the visual effects. It looks like standard CGI to me. And not the good kind that was in Lord of the Rings.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe it is the combination of CGI and 3-D effects, the latter of which will not show up online or on TV.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, that movie looks like the definition of reaching. That's how much Hollywood sucks now -- even if you have an original idea, they have to try to cram it into the mold of something with a name people recognize.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Holmes as a fighter I buy. There just seemed to be a few too many explosions and modern smirking jokes, at least from the preview.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Holmes defending himself via fisticuffs against some villian, OK.
    Holmes engaging in sports brawling like 'Bloodsports' meets 'Thunderdome' in a Victorian-tavern version of the Octogon? No, thanks.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sherlock Holmes is the most portrayed character in film history so there's always someone who wants a new "take" on the character.

And since this movie isn't based (from what I can gather) on any of Sir Conan Doyle's books, I don't have a problem with it. As a matter of fact, I'm looking forward to it.

Think of it as '"Holmes: The Next Generation". :)

But I know what you mean, Buck.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm pretty conservative in how I like well established characters portrayed, JR.
    A lot of people aren't familiar with Holmes the way people of previous generations were. They don't know who Basil Rathbone was and they certainly haven't read the book.
    I understand your point, but I think an audience today would respond to a more classic approach to the character and stories if they were done well.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

As for Cameron being a pretentious dickhead...I think at some level you have to be to be a successful director. You have to believe you're the best at what you do to do what these guys do.

It's like athletes. The ones who are down-to-earth are the exception to the rule.

That being said, I have no interest in Avatar or Sherlock Holmes. I'll wait for a romcom, thank you very much. :)

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I am seeing Sherlock Holmes purely for Robert Downey. For my money he is one of the best actors working.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Downey, Law and McAdams is a pretty good grouping. I think Downey doing his Sherlock Holmes version of his Ironman character would make me happy.

I really don't expect this to be a phenomenal film, but I do think it'll be a fun time.

Draft saved Draft deleted