1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avatar: See it this weekend, and see history...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Dec 17, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Love the Abyss, one of my favorite movies of all-time.

I have high hopes for Avatar. Ebert, in his review, liked it. It has the potential to be a really revolutionary film. Just because of the use of 3D. And if you wait for the DVD, or a dollar screening, that doesn't have the screen, you are really going to miss the whole point of the movie.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Gee, what would ever give you that idea? It's not like the guy stood up on stage at the Academy Awards and proclaimed himself king of the world or anything.

Cameron's an overwrought, arrogant, pretentious blowhard. As I wrote on another Avatar thread, you couldn't get me to see this with a gun to my head.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Impressive visuals are nice, but they can't make up for weak characters and stories. If you doubt that, just compare the original Star Wars movies with the prequels. The effects and the fight choreography are MUCH better in the prequels. It's not even close. But give me the unedited versions of the original trilogy any time.

I know the movie is about six months away, but I just saw the trailer for Iron Man 2 last night and while it isn't anything historic, it looks like it will be a heck of a lot more fun than Avatar.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

When the trailer first showed here in the office one night, me and my colleague, who is something of a movie maven, both looked at each other and at almost the exact same moment said, "Fail!"

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ugh, that Sherlock Holmes movie looks dereadful.
    Who makes an action movie about Sherlock Holmes?
    Atrocious.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This. A modern take on Sherlock Holmes could be fantastic, but the previews make this look horrible.

7. ripple

ripple Member

Completely agree. I will most likely catch the Sherlock Holmes movie, probably when it hits Redbox, but the action genre just doesn't seem like it fits.

Back on point, I just bought my midnight Avatar ticket. I'm not really expecting to be blown away by anything but the visuals. Hopefully it will surprise.

8. baskethead

baskethead Member

Going to a midnight show of Avatar tonight, I think it looks great. We'll see. I don't like the Sherlock Holmes trailers, either, so I'll wait until video.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As much as I like to stand up for my fellow Canucks, James Cameron is a dickhead.

Liked Aliens (was that the first one?) and Terminator was OK.

Titanic was an awful piece of dreck--not to mention the romance was totally unrealistic.

Having an affair on a class divided luxury liner in that era between those two would have been impossible, or next to it. It wasn't a question of "from the other side of the tracks" as someone pointed out. They were from entirely different universes.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

This.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The action hero approach in Sherlock Holmes is based on incidents from the original stories/novels. His martial arts and boxing skills are well documented.

I wonder if the movie will play up the detective's cocaine habit. :)

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

It'll be Method acting at its finest. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted