1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AV Club: The 50 Best Films of the 90s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

McGoohan was brilliant, and it helped give us Brendan Gleeson, so it's still a net positive.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

To his credit, he pretty much embraced that urge later on.

Heavenly father thinks he can get me out of this. But he thinks you're pretty much fooked.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Still enjoy Braveheart.

If you think he was going for "Wallace as Christi-like figure", try the novelization. It takes that a few steps further.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

On a scale of 1 to Dressing Up As A Star Trek Character, how sad is it you read a novelization of Braveheart?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The best movie of the '90s is Diggstown. Did it make the list? I'm too cool to check.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The book was better.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Surprised one of the better baseball movies didn't make it, although I wouldn't have ranked it too high: "A League of Their Own".

Also, "My Cousin Vinny" is one of the better comedies from that decade.

And no "Home Alone?"

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's top 50, not top 500.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Terrible list. Hadn't heard of half of them or seen at least two thirds of them. Also no Forrest Gump? No Jurassic Park? Among others that were previously mentioned and more. So many great movies left off the list for some absolute dreck. Also, Fight Club at 25? bullshit.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i have no problem with goodfellas being no. 1. great flick. my no. 1? nope. but still a great flick.

but to leave Boyz N the Hood off the list is the largest omission, IMHO.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction 1 and 2 I'm fine with. Also it was good to see some I liked but not everyone would include like Red, Rushmore and Miller's Crossing.
    Most of the rest of it? No. Toy Story 2 is nowhere near top 50 let alone No. 3. I actually walked out of Eyes Wide Shut which would not happen if it were truly the 26th best movie of the decade. Also no Clerks? No LA Confidential? Include Red but not the far superior White? Big Lebowski that low?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dismissing Toy Story 2 is pretty shortsighted. It has a strong case as the best animated movie ever.

That said, comedies and blockbusters were fucked over on this list. A few comedies that would receive consideration my 50 best movies of the 1990s:

Dumb and Dumber
    Friday
    Clerks
    Swingers
    Office Space
    Billy Madison
    Major League
    Tommy Boy
    American Pie
    Dogma
    Rush Hour
    Home Alone
    Wayne's World
    Happy Gilmore
    Half Baked
    Kingpin
    Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

The 1990s was a funny fucking decade. I realize when the word "film" gets involved, panties bunch in critics' assholes, but show me a person who doesn't love at least five of those movies. I like all of them more than Dazed and Confused, which always struck me as an artsy remake of American Graffiti.

Draft saved Draft deleted