1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auxiliary Press Box ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FishHack76, Jan 19, 2007.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I think the last time there was a playoff game in Chicago, there were a lot of media people put in a room with no view of the field, but with lots of TVs.

I've done two NFC Championships, both in St. Louis, and the aux box was fine, you could see the field and there were plenty of phones.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Sat in the auxiliary in St. Louis. Back of one of the end zones, at the top of the lower deck. OK, but tough to see things downfield.

Sat in the auxiliary at the Patriots-Rams Super Bowl in New Orleans. Was in the upper deck. Had to file a running notebook immediately after the game ended; spent five minutes running from upstairs down to the media room. Missed New England's final drive and Vinatieri's game-winning field goal while doing so.

:mad:

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I was in the baseball press box of the Superdome for that one, and they called it an auxilliary press box. There must have been several, because it's on the same level as the football press box.

I'll be at Soldier Field for this game. I have no idea where my seat will be, but I'm heeding the advice posted above, just in case.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I must've been WAY down the food chain, then, because I was sitting in an actual seat in the upper deck, in a section that was roped off for us media types. I sat next to a co-worker who has been in the business for 30 years and has a Football Hall of Fame vote. Needless to say, he wasn't happy.

And there were no phones, so the only option was to run downstairs to the main media room on the field level. What I would have done for wireless back then...

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I believe it will be that way in Indy too. My paper has one seat in the main box, and I was assured that whoever went to the aux box would be in there with the NY Times.

Looks like I'm hob-nobbin'!

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

so why pay to send someone if he or she's gonna be watching on TV from a tent or workroom? that seems like a collosal waste of money.

7. post-game access

8. Keystone

Keystone Member

Ahh, this brings back memories of the auxiliary press box at RFK Stadium. In those days, most of the regular Redskins writers from the suburban papers and smaller dailies were stuck up there because the regular press box was the smallest in the NFL and by rule the visiting team's media had to be accomodated. You were at the very top of the stadium and had to go through the stands to get there. Plenty of cold hot dogs, warm cokes and backed up toilets for eight games each season. But the team did put us in the regular box when a team didn't bring a lot of media, usually one of the Western teams. Actually, the 'Skins press staff during the Cooke era was great to work with.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

so with 3,000 reporters you're telling me you're gonna get something exclusive after the game? damn, you're good.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

FishHack, let me know what the aux box is. We were denied credentials for the game, so if I find out the aux box was a room without a view, I won't feel so bad about not being there.

11. yes

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is how it was at the MLS Cup this year. We were just sitting in the stands and a bunch of drunk fans are sitting next to us. It was especially annoying when the wind kicked up and it started to rain.
    Thank goodness for the free beer after work.

Draft saved Draft deleted