1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Autopsy reveals Waters' brain already scrambled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Norman Stansfield, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

A 42-year-old former NFL player with the brain tissue of an 85-year-old. Wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2734941

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

Here's the Times story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/18/sports/football/18waters.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought this thread was either about John or Roger.

4. You have a lot of concussions and you are at increased risk for Alzheimer's. That's an undeniable medical fact.
    Poor bastard.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm pretty sure I didn't see that in Nowinski's cards when I watched him on the first season of Tough Enough. And to think, without those concussions he might be in a tag team with Matt Striker right now!

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I always wondered what happened to Nowinski.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

If this is truly related to concussions, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of this in former football players over the years. Maybe it just hasn't been publicized.

But I know Mike Webster and former Packer Lionel Aldridge battled mental health issues before they passed. Interesting to say the least.

9. statrat

statrat Member

The NFL doesn't want it publicized. Players getting Alzheimer's at a young age is bad for the business model.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

How old is John Mackey? He's got it, too. And according to a Rick Reilly column -- maybe you remember it, the one about the fucktard stealing memorabilia from mentally-compromised NFL alumni? -- he's far from alone:

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wouldn't hockey players be susceptible to this as well? Seems like they get more concussions than football players, but then again maybe not.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That makes sense, Angola! Fewer head-on collisions, but one would think that the worst hockey hits would do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Wonder if anyone's done a study on that?

There's an Alzheimer's/dementia-related provision in the latest NFL CBA:

Draft saved Draft deleted