1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Automotive question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pencil Dick, May 9, 2007.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Timing belt broke on my Toyota Camry on the way to watch the local minor league nine play tonight.

Got the car stopped and parked within about a quarter-mile after the thing snapped while running about 65 mph (it wasn't due to be replaced for about 20,000 more miles). I'll have it towed to the Toyota repair shop I've used for years (not a dealership), but what kind of damage was likely done in that short a time?

Obviously, this is going to be an expensive repair job regardless.

2. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I hate to be honest here, but no matter how soon you stopped the car, there's probably serious engine damage.

It's very rare for a timing belt to break so early before it is scheduled to be replaced.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow dude, that really sucks. interpret what you want from that. ... cha-ching.

4. KG

KG Active Member

Which engine do you have (as in L)? Toyota is about half and half on interference and non-interference engines.

When it's an interference (hope I get all the terms correct) the crankshaft (big spinny bar that spins when the pistons are pushed down from combustion) keeps turning but the camshafts (skinny spinny bars that spin to open and close the valves) stop. That makes the still moving pistons hit the valves and can bend or break them. It can also damage the cylinder head (rectangle-shaped metal thingy near the center when you open the hood), which is what holds the whole top half of that combustion junk like the valves and camshafts.

When it's non-interference none of that stuff runs into one another.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What Kathy's saying is, you've got a head job coming.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

You should be OK unless you have the 1.8 liter Inline 4. Pretty sure that's the only interference engine Toyota has loaded into a Camry since the early 90s.

Timing belt replace without top-end damage? $400 plus towing (a guess).
    Timing belt and top-end replace? Well over $1500 (a guess again).

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Not a bad result from such big car problems.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Update: Some positive news this morning.

First, there was no towing charge involved - paid for by AAA.

Second, it turns out it's a non-interference engine. Nothing bent or broken. Repair shop manager says I'm looking at about $800 in total repairs, including a new timing belt and a much-needed tune-up.

He didn't mention a head job, which was quite disappointing.

Looks like I'll need to get 2underpar on the golf course ASAP and win enough $$$ to pay for this this repair work.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

this thread has put a boot in my ass (is that an acceptable pun?) to get my timing belt changed. Either that or trade my car in for another one.

That's great news, PD. And if you're playing for that kind of money on the course, remind me to come find you. I could use some cash, too.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do they still do tune ups? How many miles on that Camry, PDick?

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Since I have a cross-country trip coming up, I took the sled into the shop for some new tires, a brake job and an alignment. Total of about $550, the guy tells me yesterday.

Today, he calls and says my brakes are OK (but the rotors need turning) and I need two inner tie-rod ends, which'll tack on about $250 bucks.

Thanks, buddy.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Ace, it's a little over 157K. I the replaced original timing belt around 90,000.

bydesign, when playing 2underpar, money just falls into your pocket. Especially since he's giving up strokes. It's like Manna from Heaven.

Draft saved Draft deleted