1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Automatically sending articles to Twitter feed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Jul 15, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Does anyone know how to do this?

I'm in charge of the social networking at my site and I think this would help increase web hits slightly. I don't know a lot about twitter. If anyone does this and could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

twitterfeed.com

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Who woulda thunken?

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

PM me if you still need help.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

That's a pretty good idea, mustang17. I definitely need to try that.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Auto feeds suck. Hate 'em.

But if you don't have the time/manpower to tweet it yourself, at least it gets your brand out there. And I can't fault any paper for doing that.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

yeah, i'm not a fan of auto feeds on twitter, either. Or papers that have auto feeds on their facebook page. just seems a bit redundant to me.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK...I certainly understand the aversion to automated Twitter feeds among the Twitterati. Completely.

But I have one where I simply want our columnists out there whenever they're writing, day or night or weekends, so yes, I have one group on an automated feed.

I don't apologize for it, but I don't particularly expect it to get a million followers, either. It is (sad to say) what it is.

9. I've yet to hear an adequate reason why we're wasting our time on Twitter.

I mean, if you're a major Web site with millions of hits daily, or even a newspaper whose Web site gets considerable traffic, don't you already have a built-in megaphone to broadcast your stuff? Why do you need to go on Twitter and tell a few dozen or hundred or however many people (who are llkely are already plugged in enough to get your RSS feed and have your page bookmarked if they're adding you on Twitter), when you're already on a site with millions of readers? Seems like the tail wagging the dog here.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, not really.

If your Twitter feed -- or Facebook page, or whatever -- is really good, you can drag in a LOT more readers that way than you would have.

In other words, it's the difference between 10,000,000 users and 10,200,000 users. Or whatever.

So it can make a difference.

11. To use the numbers in your hypothetical, I'm more inclined to believe the vast majority of those 200,000 are coming from the 10,000,000 already reading you than they are an additional 200,000 readers.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Macarena of social networking, someone called Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted